PDA

View Full Version : Best distro to use for old Thinkpad

rmcellig
April 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I have an old Thinkpad Lenova T60 that a friend of mine wants me to install linux on for her 15 year old daughter. Her daughter will be doing mostly shocial networking stuff like twitter, facebook, skype etc... I know I can install Pidgin to cover most of her social networking needs. Does Pidgin do Twitter?

What distro would you recomend I install on this laptop that is right for a linux newbie who needs something simple, fast and easy to use (hopefully highly configurable as well.

Immediately I thought of Puppy Linux but I'm sure there are others that I may not be aware of that would work well with the T60. Looking forward to your recomendations!!

rmil
April 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I have even older IBM Thinkpad working well and happy with Lubuntu 11.10
Generally I tried everything on this computer Lubuntu works good for such old Pentiums.

wolfen69
April 13th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I agree with puppy for it. They even make a version just for older computers. I doubt you'll find anything faster. But Lubuntu is certainly in the mix.

jimrz
April 13th, 2012, 03:59 AM
+1 for lubuntu 11.10 ... runs beautifully on my old T-42 ( pentium m 1.8 \ 1 gig ram) and everything worked straight out of the box

Kolthoff
April 13th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I'm running Lubuntu 11.10 on an IBM ThinkPad iSeries Pentium II with 256 MB RAM and only 6 GB HDD. Once the install was done, which took a while in this computer, it works reasonably well.

jola
April 13th, 2012, 06:04 AM
I am a newbie & just installed Lubuntu on a think-pad R51, after having issues w/ puppy & mint 12, it is doing fine w/ Lubuntu 11.10.

-jola, thinkpad R51(2883), 1.5ghz, 1.2g RAM, 30G

kurt18947
April 13th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I think a T-60 should run whatever they want to run as long as it has at least 1 gig of RAM. I have an R-61 w/ 2 gig RAM running 12.04 and it's perfect. Running 12.04 & FireFox. HTOP shows 557 MB. RAM in use.

slooksterpsv
April 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I have an old Thinkpad Lenova T60 that a friend of mine wants me to install linux on for her 15 year old daughter. Her daughter will be doing mostly shocial networking stuff like twitter, facebook, skype etc... I know I can install Pidgin to cover most of her social networking needs. Does Pidgin do Twitter?

What distro would you recomend I install on this laptop that is right for a linux newbie who needs something simple, fast and easy to use (hopefully highly configurable as well.

Immediately I thought of Puppy Linux but I'm sure there are others that I may not be aware of that would work well with the T60. Looking forward to your recomendations!!

If it has at least 512MB of RAM or more (if it has more, the better) I would say Xubuntu or Lubuntu. If it has 1GB of RAM you could even run Ubuntu (granted it'd be a bit slower, but it'd still work). Lubuntu would give the feel of Windows. Xubuntu would give the feel of Apple a bit.

mips
April 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think a T-60 should run whatever they want to run as long as it has at least 1 gig of RAM. I have an R-61 w/ 2 gig RAM running 12.04 and it's perfect. Running 12.04 & FireFox. HTOP shows 557 MB. RAM in use.

+1 It should run anything you throw at it quite comfortably as it's not that old.

Do you have the exact specs for it? Or at least the full model number like 2623 etc. which you can find on the bottom of the unit.

If it does not have 2GB of RAM I would say upgrade it to 2GB as RAM is cheap and makes a big difference in performance.

rmcellig
April 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
As far as Twitter is concerned, which app would you recomend I use?

makitso
April 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Gosh how time flies. I have a Thinkpad T60 and don't think of it as being old.

Anyway, I have it dual booted it with Win7. On the linux size I have tried lubuntu but now have ubuntu 12.04B installed. It runs very nice. However, Ido have 3GB memory and a 7200 RPM disk and that helps.

dniMretsaM
April 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
As far as Twitter is concerned, which app would you recomend I use?

There are lots of microblogging apps out there. Gwibber is a popular one. My personal favorite is Choqok, but that will pull some KDE dependencies, which you probably don't want. Also, a distro that I recommend is Crunchbang. I personally find it better than Puppy. It's super light, based on Debian (so you get access to huge repos and it works with some Ubuntu PPA's). Note that you can't install any official Mozilla applications, though. You'll have to download them and symlink them into /usr/bin/ yourself (no compiling, though). YouTube is your friend in this case. Anyway, good luck!

Dragonbite
April 13th, 2012, 04:20 PM
+1 for lubuntu 11.10 ... runs beautifully on my old T-42 ( pentium m 1.8 \ 1 gig ram) and everything worked straight out of the box

I have a 5-6 year old T42 too, except w/2GB of Ram, and it even handled Unity and Gnome-shell reasonably. Right now I'm using Windows 7 and openSUSE running KDE 4.7 and they both work resonalby. No surprised Linux and KDE 4.7 runs snappier than Windows 7.

I did have Ubuntu 11.10 running Unity (and Gnome-shell, and Cinnamon though not all at the same time :lolflag: ) and it was completely acceptable. I hear Ubuntu 12.04 is supposed to be better with resources so I may just give that a whirl when the time comes.

I've found the biggest differences between this laptop (T42) and my previous laptop (Dell D400) seemed to be related to the higher Ram and better supported Video drivers. The chip speeds are not all that different (0.2GHz), and at first my T42 had 1GB Ram just like my D400 but the video support made a big difference.

QIII
April 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Not a *buntu, but a derivative I really like for older machines is Bodhi Linux.

E17 is a shell rather than a full DE, so it's very light.

stalkingwolf
April 13th, 2012, 04:59 PM
i have a T42 that is running zorin wonderfully.

leclerc65
April 13th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Gosh how time flies. I have a Thinkpad T60 and don't think of it as being old.

I agree. I have (2) Compaq V2000, much worse. One is so and so with Lubuntu 10.04, the other is extremely fast (surfing) with Puppy 5.2.8.

rmcellig
April 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
+1 It should run anything you throw at it quite comfortably as it's not that old.

Do you have the exact specs for it? Or at least the full model number like 2623 etc. which you can find on the bottom of the unit.

If it does not have 2GB of RAM I would say upgrade it to 2GB as RAM is cheap and makes a big difference in performance.

I know it has 2GB of RAM. Not sure what model it is. Can't find the model number on the bottom of the unit.

sudodus
April 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I know it has 2GB of RAM. Not sure what model it is. Can't find the model number on the bottom of the unit.
The T60 with 2 GB RAM has enough horse-power to run more eye candy and convenient software than Lubuntu can offer. That might be a good idea for your 15 year old beginner, so Xubuntu or even the heavier Kubuntu and 'vanilla' Ubuntu might be nice for her. Or install Ubuntu plus the other desktops into Ubuntu and let her test what is best for her (selecting at the log in screen)!

If she wants to run high definition video, then Lubuntu and the other light-weight distros make a big difference.

Dragonbite
April 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Heck if it isn't ancient, it may be like my work T61 which has 2 GB of RAM and a duo-core processor! I'd love to see how this system would run with Linux!

rmcellig
April 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
If she wants to run high definition video, then Lubuntu and the other light-weight distros make a big difference.

I installed Lubuntu 11.10. Works fine but I like your idea of installing other desktop environments. Seems like I only have Synaptic Package Manager to install software and nothing else. Is it possible to install the Ubuntu software installer?

When I am in Synaptic Package Manager, what exactly do I have to look for to install the Desktop environments and Window managers? There are so many options that I am not sure which ones to select to install. I know if I want to install xfce, I would look for xfce-desktop and install it for example.

mips
April 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM
When I am in Synaptic Package Manager, what exactly do I have to look for to install the Desktop environments and Window managers? There are so many options that I am not sure which ones to select to install. I know if I want to install xfce, I would look for xfce-desktop and install it for example.

Depends on what you want. If you want Xubuntu then install xubuntu-desktop if you just want vanilla XFCE then install xfce4

sudodus
April 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I installed Lubuntu 11.10. Works fine but I like your idea of installing other desktop environments. Seems like I only have Synaptic Package Manager to install software and nothing else. Is it possible to install the Ubuntu software installer?

Or use the command line:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
By the way, at least in 12.04, there is a software installer in Lubuntu, 'Lubuntu Software Center' along with Synaptic.

rmcellig
April 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately, some of my desktop environments aren't loading. When I select xubuntu session from the login menu, I put in my user/password and all it does is bounce back to the login window. Happens with Openbox and Kubuntu as well. Lubuntu is fine? Any ideas. If this gets too complicated I'm just going to install another distro. Maybe Zorin 5.

sudodus
April 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately, some of my desktop environments aren't loading. When I select xubuntu session from the login menu, I put in my user/password and all it does is bounce back to the login window. Happens with Openbox and Kubuntu as well. Lubuntu is fine? Any ideas. If this gets too complicated I'm just going to install another distro. Maybe Zorin 5.
I think it may be a bug in 12.04 beta, that is causing that problem, when you log out from lubuntu and then want to log in again.

I started by installing 'vanilla' Ubuntu 12.04, and then added the other three flavours (desktop environments). And that is a working installation in my computer (in a small partition for testing). The system kept the Ubuntu login screen, and it works to log in and out without problems.

rmcellig
April 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm using Lubuntu 11.10.

sudodus
April 14th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I'm using Lubuntu 11.10.
Does it work to enter the other desktop environments if you reboot or shutdown instead of log out? In that case it might be similar to the behaviour in 12.04 beta.

rmcellig
April 14th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Even if I reboot I still have the same problem.

Sef
April 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
moved to recurring discussions. another what is the best ?????

sudodus
April 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Then I strongly recommend to start with 'vanilla' Ubuntu, and add the other desktop environments. I know it works, because I am doing it. When you are running a light desktop environment for example lubuntu-desktop with LXDE, you will use very little CPU and RAM. The only disadvantage is that some disk space is occupied, but you (and she) can live with that at least during the testing period.

rmcellig
April 14th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Do you mean to just install Ubuntu 11.10 from the Ubuntu site and just add the desktop environments after that? I will try that as well. Sounds like a good idea and at least it will give her some options when it comes to DE's and Window managers as well. Seeing that I have 100GB of space on the HD as well as 2GB of RAM, I should be OK with this?

For now I have Zorin 5 loaded and it seems to work very well.

sudodus
April 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Do you mean to just install Ubuntu 11.10 from the Ubuntu site and just add the desktop environments after that? I will try that as well. Sounds like a good idea and at least it will give her some options when it comes to DE's and Window managers as well. Seeing that I have 100GB of space on the HD as well as 2GB of RAM, I should be OK with this?

For now I have Zorin 5 loaded and it seems to work very well.
Yes, that is what I mean (either of 11.10 and 12.04 beta). Personally I prefer 12.04 even if it is still beta. I think it will be a good LTS release.

I'm eager to get your results from Zorin 5 too :-)

Dragonbite
April 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Yes, that is what I mean (either of 11.10 and 12.04 beta). Personally I prefer 12.04 even if it is still beta. I think it will be a good LTS release.

I'm eager to get your results from Zorin 5 too :-)

Only have 10 days to wait for the official 12.04 too.

lampeoneon73
April 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Bonjour,

After tinkering with different option windows 7/8, back to XP then Fedora and Ubuntu I am now on xubuntu for the last 2 month and really pleased with it. Good speed and lot's of option but lite.):P:lolflag:

rmcellig
April 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
So your experience has been that Xubuntu is fairly easy to use and setup for a Linux newbie? Lot's of software in the repositories?