View Full Version : [ubuntu] dovecot won't start at all

April 12th, 2012, 06:37 AM

I need some help with my dovecot installed on Ubuntu Server 10.04. It was working before but now it's not even starting. Normally, to restart it after a few modifications on its config, one can just execute the following command in the terminal.

sudo /etc/init.d/dovecot restart

When I run that command, nothing happened. It did not render any errors at all. Then, I double checked it by using the command ps -A | grep dovecot, no result was returned.

I wonder with this kind of sympton, what went wrong and how to get it back on again.

I also run postfix and squirrelmail.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

April 12th, 2012, 06:46 AM
/etc/init.d/dovecot stop
/etc/init.d/dovecot start

try again with this .

are you getting any error message while doing stopping or starting , let us know .

April 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Thread moved to Server Platforms
If memory serves correctly, dovecot posts error messages in the mail.log file - you might be able to find some information that can aid your troubleshooting efforts there.

April 12th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Thank you guys for your replies.

No, I tried them both before posting and none of it made it respond as if it wasn't installed or something.

I also checked in the mail.log and found no record whatsoever. very bizarre. The other option I have is remove the whole package of dovecot and re-install but this would usually stuff up my apache which is already working perfectly (well I had the experience before and don't want to go through it again but if there is no other way out, I guess I've just got to do it.

Many thanks

April 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Does this machine run a firewall? If so, are TCP connections to port 143 (and port 110 if you must provide POP3) permitted? I've had the problem of daemons failing to start because the port was blocked by iptables.

April 13th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I do not recall if I have done anything to the firewall. AFAIK, I tried to leave things as they are by default as I'm still learning my way around the new OS.

Thank you

April 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
it can be a defected init.d script.
try to edit the /etc/init.d/dovecot
file to get the sense of it.
if the dovecot service process was executed you should have got some log output.

April 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM
That happened to me from time to time. I had to restart networking and then things worked ok.

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

The problem seemed to be with Network Manager, not with dovecot.

Since I dumped Network Manager, I never have the problem any longer.