PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Does Right Click no longer work at all?

emarkay
April 10th, 2012, 02:46 AM
It seems to have been disabled.
Jeez...
Can't even delete a bookmark in the menu in Firefox!
Preferences and configurations were all just one click away...

alphacrucis2
April 10th, 2012, 02:48 AM
It seems to have been disabled.
Jeez...
Can't even delete a bookmark in the menu in Firefox!
Preferences and configurations were all just one click away...

I think that change occurred quite a while back. Maybe 11.10 or 11.04. If you select show all bookmarks, you can do it from there.

Frogs Hair
April 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM
It is possible restore that function by disabling the global menu integration in Firefox extensions . That allows the enabling of the menu bar in the browser instead of the top panel. You can also use the start tab on the top left of the browser if you don't want to enable the menu bar.

emarkay
April 10th, 2012, 03:10 AM
How daft!
...and not just in Firefox I mean.

OK, so how to re-enable the right click feature in 12.04?

alphacrucis2
April 10th, 2012, 03:13 AM
How daft!

I recall there was some philosophical argument that said that menu items shouldn't have context or some such. The philosophers won out over the practical.

Penguinnerd
April 10th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I recall there was some philosophical argument that said that menu items shouldn't have context or some such. The philosophers won out over the practical.

argh... So, is this just in plain Ubuntu? Not in Xubuntu, right? (...The 10.04 user says nervously...)

alphacrucis2
April 10th, 2012, 03:24 AM
argh... So, is this just in plain Ubuntu? Not in Xubuntu, right? (...The 10.04 user says nervously...)

I don't know. I never used Lubuntu or Xubuntu. I plan to try them out on an old PC have have but I was going to wait for official release.

Frogs Hair
April 10th, 2012, 03:46 AM
How daft!

The Gnome Shell doesn't use the global menu and I have read that Xubuntu can be setup pretty much like gnome 2 . Many people have been using Unity for a year and it's now has its third release pending . The discussions about the pros and cons of unity have been exhausted and end up in reoccurring . 12.04 will have Classic Gnome available with a familiar menu and features ,but it is different from Gnome 2 .

emarkay
April 10th, 2012, 03:52 AM
So where are those insubordinate fools who challenge authority and write code to make philosophically enabled and practically challenged programs work for the common folk? :) Sure we may have to install it, but... is there a workaround?

cariboo907
April 10th, 2012, 03:55 AM
@emarkay, from the sounds of it you have several things missing that work on all of my precise installations. Make sure you have Precise fully installed, and fully up-to-date.

The right-click being disabled in firefox has been around for a couple of releases, but otherwise right click works as it should elsewhere.

emarkay
April 10th, 2012, 03:57 AM
12.04 will have Classic Gnome available with a familiar menu and features ,but it is different from Gnome 2 .

Not to rehash discussions I was never party to, but as a LTS user but, one might say it' not a Classic if it doesn't have the same features as the original...

mcellius
April 10th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I don't know that the Gnome Classic option is exactly the same as the "Classic" you are used to using, but it appears to be very similar; some have even said that it is as though nothing has changed. Booting into 12.04 will take you to Unity by default the first time, but you can logout, choose Gnome Classic, and that's what you'll get from then on.

And right-click works just fine everywhere it it supposed to work, although Firefox - not Ubuntu - made some changes within their program. On the other hand, I just tried and I was able to delete bookmarks with a right click.

I think for 10.14 LTS users, there are lots of stories about how different Ubuntu is now, and I have no doubt you'll find differences. Overall, though, I think most of what you like about Ubuntu now will still be there in 12.04, although you might need to set up a few things to have it work the "old" way.

kansasnoob
April 10th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Not to rehash discussions I was never party to, but as a LTS user but, one might say it' not a Classic if it doesn't have the same features as the original...

I honestly can make Oneiric and Precise behave almost exactly like older versions of Ubuntu with Gnome 2 did. I haven't yet written a how-to for Precise because it's not quite done, and I've been busy.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 10th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Various options if you want to manage bookmarks really quickly.

You can add a bookmark menu to your Firefox toolbar using an addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmarks-menu/
You can enable the Bookmarks toolbar.
You can add a Bookmarks button.

These ones, unlike the global menu (or most menu bars) are specifically made for managing bookmarks.

ubuntu27
April 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
For some people, this is the answer (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/)

keithpeter
April 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM
... Many people have been using Unity for a year and it's now has its third release pending . The discussions about the pros and cons of unity have been exhausted and end up in reoccurring . 12.04 will have Classic Gnome available with a familiar menu and features ,but it is different from Gnome 2 .

Hello Frogs Hair and all

An important meta-issue here that I think is relevant mainly for the forum staff but also for those heros and heroines who answer questions in Absolute Beginners.

Come 10.04 -> 12.04 migration a lot of people are going to confront Unity for the first time. Those people have NOT been on the same journey as those of us who have used the 6 monthly releases. Expect a lot of the same issues to be reexpressed in Absolute Beginners and the other primary support threads!

kansasnoob
April 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hello Frogs Hair and all

An important meta-issue here that I think is relevant mainly for the forum staff but also for those heros and heroines who answer questions in Absolute Beginners.

Come 10.04 -> 12.04 migration a lot of people are going to confront Unity for the first time. Those people have NOT been on the same journey as those of us who have used the 6 monthly releases. Expect a lot of the same issues to be reexpressed in Absolute Beginners and the other primary support threads!

This is why I'm very soon going to rewrite my Oneiric classic thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799) so it applies to Precise. Probably by this weekend.