PDA

View Full Version : Samba Windows Seven User Permissions

burgiking
April 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hi I've been tracking the internet for ages for a solution to my problem. I've had no success this time for samba installation and sharing.

Problem: I'm sharing a test folder; can access the folder's on windows 7, traverse through directories but creating folders and viewing files is a no-go. The error 'you need permission to perform this action'.

Here's some data:
smbusers:

root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
samba = "samba"

smb.conf:

workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string =
netbios name = *****.*******.com
announce version = 5.0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
null passwords = true
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
follow symlinks = yes
unix extensions = no
browsable = yes
wide links = yes

[TEST]
path = /media
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
read only = no
writable = yes
valid users = burgiking root samba

[MNT]
path = /mnt
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
read only = no
writable = yes

I have the user:samba and group:samba. Added the samba user to group root as well (for testing).

mnt:

drwxrwxrwx. 3 root root 4096 Apr 8 16:44 mnt

/mnt/test

drwxrwxrwx. 2 root root 4096 Apr 8 17:06 test

/mnt/test/hi.txt

-rwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 Apr 8 17:07 hi.txt

I used the command smbpasswd -a and -e

Any ideas? Hope I've given enough data for you guys to help.
Many thanks

Stason
April 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I get the same error. My setup is only different that I have guest access enabled. I presume it is some win7 purpose built-in incompatibility issue.

burgiking
April 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
It must be, what kind of set-up do you have?

When I had a virtual box with a nat connection it worked fine. Once I moved to a physical server connected to the router my laptop can't access the shares. [I'm re-reading this as a whining girl]

CharlesA
April 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Can you connect via IP?

I have been able to connect fine using the default smb.conf (after adding the share definitions) and running:

sudo smbpasswd -a username

EDIT: The reason you are unable to create files in /media is because it is owned by root which means you don't have access to it.

Try pointing that share to a folder you created yourself.

Stason
April 16th, 2012, 05:24 PM
The directory I am trying to give guest acces to is not owned by root, but by user. I am able to access it both from android and MacOS creating/deleting files without problem, but not from Win7.

CharlesA
April 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Are you trying to connect via IP or hostname?

Stason
April 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM
via IP

CharlesA
April 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Have you added the user via:

sudo smbpasswd -a username

Morbius1
April 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
The directory I am trying to give guest acces to is not owned by root, but by user. I am able to access it both from android and MacOS creating/deleting files without problem, but not from Win7.Windows sends the local login user's username and password when it browses a samba / smb share forcing the server to deal with it in some way. If you set up a guest share you have one of 2 choices:

** Set up the Win7 user as an actual user on the Linux server with an smbpasswd so he has something to authenticate himself against.

** Or do none of that and make sure you have the following line in the [global] section of smb.conf:

map to guest = Bad UserThe Win7 user will come across with credentials, Samba will not find a match to his user name, he will be tagged a "Bad User", and then converted to the guest account.

Side note: Have we given up on the OP. It's fine by me since I haven't a clue what his issue is ;)

CharlesA
April 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Side note: Have we given up on the OP. It's fine by me since I haven't a clue what his issue is ;)

I guess so. They haven't been back in a week. I'm not sure what their problem is either. :confused:

Stason
April 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM
** Set up the Win7 user as an actual user on the Linux server with an smbpasswd so he has something to authenticate himself against.

Did that

make sure you have the following line in the [global] section of smb.conf:

map to guest = Bad User

It is there

Morbius1
April 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Then neither the Windows user or "nobody" has access to the underlying Linux directory. What are the ownership and permissions of the folder:

ls -dl /path/to/folder

Stason
April 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM
drwxrwxrwx 3 myusername myusername 4096

Morbius1
April 17th, 2012, 09:26 PM
And you're getting the same error as the OP:

Problem: I'm sharing a test folder; can access the folder's on windows 7, traverse through directories but creating folders and viewing files is a no-go. The error 'you need permission to perform this action'.

EDIT: It would have been nice to actually see the path but is this in your home directory and is it encrypted by any chance?

Stason
April 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
It is the same thing, although I can view and copy the files from the directory, but not into it. The error is the same. The directory is not encrypted and it is not in home directory, it is actually on a separate drive that I use for all the media files.

Once again, it all works fine if I connect from my Mac Air or from the Android-based smart-phone.

Morbius1
April 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I can't think of one thing that fits all your symptoms so you can either post the output of the following commands so we can see how you are set up:

testparm -s
net usershare info --longOr you can do the following:

[1] Edit smb.conf as root:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf[2] Add the following line to the [global] section - right under the workgroup line:

force user = stasonOr whatever your local Ubuntu login name is.

[3] Then restart samba:

sudo service smbd restart

Note: When you restart samba the network has a fit so you need to give it some time. Other linux machines can recover in 60 seconds, WinXP can take up to 2 -3 minutes, But Win7 takes the prize for taking the longest.

Stason
April 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[exchange]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[exchange]
path = /media/BORDELLO/Exchange
force user = stason
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

Stason
April 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM
[exchange]
path=/media/BORDELLO/Exchange
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y

[bordello]
path=/media/BORDELLO
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:R,STASON-UBUNTU\stason:F,
guest_ok=y

Morbius1
April 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM
This:

[exchange]
force user = stason
read only = No
guest ok = Yes Conflicts with this:

[exchange]
path=/media/BORDELLO/Exchange
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=yAnd this.....:

[bordello]
path=/media/BORDELLO
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:R,STASON-UBUNTU\stason:F,
guest_ok=y ... Will be confusing to the client. Guests have read only access to /media/BORDELLO so If they access the bordello share and go to the exchange folder they do not have write access but if they go to the Exchange share directly they do.

At a minimum remove the share you created in Nautilus for /media/BORDELLO/Exchange.

Stason
April 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I have already tried removing Nautilus share. Win7 gets no access to Exchange at all. Connecting to Exchange directly yields same issue with permissions.

It seems to me that smb.conf settings have no effect at all.

Morbius1
April 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
You posted earlier that your symptoms were the same as the original poster so the Windows client does have access to the share just not write access.

You put the "force user" in the share definition instead of in the [global] section so that should have fixed the problem as far as write access to that share - assuming the user stason has write access to the folder locally.

If this is not the case then I cannot reproduce your symptoms.

Stason
April 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I do not want all users to have same access as the owner. I want just one directory to serve for uploads and the rest be read only.

It should not be that complicated. Besides it works as supposed withev erything else via Nautilus only.

I have put force user in global and it did not work anyway.

I feel that it is just easier to share the directory on win7 pc and access it from Ubuntu for needed files.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Morbius1
April 18th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Permissions when using Samba come in 2 parts - the Linux part and the Samba part.

If I create a share that looks like this:

[exchange]
force user = stason
read only = Yes
guest ok = Yes The remote guest will be allowed in first then converted to "stason" for that share but Samba will prohibit a write even if stason locally can write.

Samba is the gatekeeper - it determines who has access and what that user can do as long as it's not more permissions then the underlying Linux permissions. If the target Linux folder does not permit a write Samba cannot make it so. But if the target folder does allow write Samba can be used to prevent it.

Morbius1
April 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM
It should not be that complicated.
I have Win7 Pro on another machine and I created a share just like yours on my Xubuntu box. Win7 has no problem accessing that share despite the fact that according to 99% of the HowTo's out there everything about my setup is wrong: The machines in question are in 2 different workgroups, they can't ping each other by name if my life depended on it ( but I can browse by name ), and I have not disabled HomeGroup on Win7.

The whole thing took 30 seconds - and that's because the Win7 machine is in another room.

There's something about your setup that I've missed or I haven't asked the right questions.

CharlesA
April 18th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I have Win7 Pro on another machine and I created a share just like yours on my Xubuntu box. Win7 has no problem accessing that share despite the fact that according to 99% of the HowTo's out there everything about my setup is wrong: The machines in question are in 2 different workgroups, they can't ping each other by name if my life depended on it ( but I can browse by name ), and I have not disabled HomeGroup on Win7.

The whole thing took 30 seconds - and that's because the Win7 machine is in another room.

There's something about your setup that I've missed or I haven't asked the right questions.
My set up the pretty much the same as yours then.

All I did was throw the share definitions in and it worked.

Stason
April 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Can you copy a file from win7 to that share and then delete it all from win7 pc?

CharlesA
April 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Can you copy a file from win7 to that share and then delete it all from win7 pc?
I can, yes.

Do it all the time actually - my main desktop is Win7 and my file server is Ubuntu 10.04.

Stason
April 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Perhaps the issue is that my win7 laptop's primary network is not that where I am trying to connect it to Ubuntu.

Anywas I found a more straightforward solution above.

Morbius1
April 19th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Perhaps the issue is that my win7 laptop's primary network is not that where I am trying to connect it to Ubuntu.
If you mean the workgroups are different it shouldn't make any difference. In my example the workgroups were different. If you mean one is in a different subnet than the other then I'm not sure how you are browsing to the other box at all.

But either way, unless I've completely misread your symptoms, you can find and access the Linux share you just can't write to it. Based on how you defined the share:

[exchange]
force user = stason
read only = No
guest ok = Yes Samba is not stopping the write - Linux is. But for the life of me I can't figure the source of the problem.