PDA

View Full Version : Update manager

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
The update manager is painfully slow regardless of sever selection . Is this normal for Beta?

synaptix
April 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Slow as in downloading, or slow as in updating the cache?

Elfy
April 8th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Sometimes it can be. I've had it really slow here from time to time.

mcellius
April 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
It is extremely slow on mine, too. When checking for updates, the indicator moves back and forth for a long time, often taking several minutes, before coming back with a list of updates or even no updates. It usually seems to be a little faster when downloading and applying the updates, but sometimes even that (especially the downloading part) is extremely slow.

Since I also run Oneiric I can easily compare the difference: Precise is MUCH slower when it comes to updating. I guess I just figured it was part of the beta process.

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Downloading works normally, but updating the package list is very slow . I was using the main server and switched to the U.S. server without any change.

Add: The synaptic package seems to work much better tan the update manager at the moment anyway .

synaptix
April 8th, 2012, 04:34 PM
It is extremely slow on mine, too. When checking for updates, the indicator moves back and forth for a long time, often taking several minutes, before coming back with a list of updates or even no updates. It usually seems to be a little faster when downloading and applying the updates, but sometimes even that (especially the downloading part) is extremely slow.

Since I also run Oneiric I can easily compare the difference: Precise is MUCH slower when it comes to updating. I guess I just figured it was part of the beta process.

Downloading works normally, but updating the package list is very slow . I was using the main server and switched to the U.S. server without any change.

Question for you both...are you using your ISPs default DNS servers at all? I find that when I used my ISP default DNS everything was slow for me.

I use OpenDNS and my update manager downloads at max capacity and updating cache takes 1-2 seconds to do (this is against United States server/us.archive.ubuntu.com).

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Question for you both...are you using your ISPs default DNS servers at all? I find that when I used my ISP default DNS everything was slow for me.

I would have to check into that further . I am on a home Lan with two other computers. I use only the internet connection and don't share files . The router is on another computer.