PDA

View Full Version : Problem with excecutables

bobman321123
April 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 seems to have a problem opening all executables......
How do I fix or figure out what's wrong with this?

na5h
April 7th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Have you tried this? Right-click on the file-> properties -> permissions tab-> check the "Allow executing file as program" box.

bobman321123
April 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM
That doesn't work for me. 12.04 seems to have issues opening executables.

Toz
April 8th, 2012, 03:22 AM
What kind of (Linux, windows) and which executables? Are you getting error messages? Where are the files located (hard drive, external drive, network)?
It would be helpful if you could provide some more info.

cariboo
April 8th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Your are running executables, any time you click on an icon, what particular executable are you having a problem with? If it's the same problem as in your other thread, I'll merge the two.

bobman321123
April 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Your are running executables, any time you click on an icon, what particular executable are you having a problem with? If it's the same problem as in your other thread, I'll merge the two.

My other thread is about .desktop files not allowing me to click on them, this thread is about trying to run an executable directly, which doesn't let me.

It's a linux executable, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, and when I either double click the executable or go in terminal and write ./executable, it tells me I have no program to run an executable.

And yes, before you say it, I'm VERY sure this is a linux executable, I had it working perfectly in 11.10.

cariboo
April 8th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Could you tell us the name of this executable, or what it is supposed to do?

mc4man
April 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Could you tell us the name of this executable, or what it is supposed to do?
I'm showing this in his other post - the binary can not nor is it designed to be run directly.
The app uses a launcher script to run the binary

(when the app is installed it creates a Desktop launcher with proper permissions & sets the path to the app launcher script based on the location from where the app was first installed

bobman321123
April 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Could we please keep the two different posts separate?

The first post is about all my .desktop files not working.
I have about 10 of them, Desura is just one example.

THIS post is about a program called Sublime Text 2, whose executable refuses to run for some reason.

oldos2er
April 9th, 2012, 03:47 AM
THIS post is about a program called Sublime Text 2, whose executable refuses to run for some reason.

Did you download the correct bitness (32- or 64-) for your system?

cariboo
April 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Could we please keep the two different posts separate?

The first post is about all my .desktop files not working.
I have about 10 of them, Desura is just one example.

What happens when you try to start the app from a terminal?

bobman321123
April 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
What happens when you try to start the app from a terminal?

If I try to run it as a regular user,
./sublime_text
I get a "you are not allowed to run this" message.
If I try to run it as sudo, it accepts it, but nothing happens.

bobman321123
April 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I've tried it on several different executables, including a few very simple ones I've compiled myself. My system is incapable of running excecutable files either by .desktop files or directly running via ./executablenamehere

@oldfred Yes, 64bit program, 64bit ubuntu.

cariboo
April 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I just had a look at Sublime Text 2, I downloaded it, used file-roller to extract it (I just doubled-clicked Sublime Text 2 Build 2181 x64.tar.bz2) to Downloads. I then double-clicked the Sublime Text 2 icon, once in the directory I double-clicked sublime_text. I worked without a problem.

The ownership in my case is my user - cariboo and permissions are 755

bobman321123
April 12th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I just had a look at Sublime Text 2, I downloaded it, used file-roller to extract it (I just doubled-clicked Sublime Text 2 Build 2181 x64.tar.bz2) to Downloads. I then double-clicked the Sublime Text 2 icon, once in the directory I double-clicked sublime_text. I worked without a problem.

The ownership in my case is my user - cariboo and permissions are 755

Yes, I've found that it's a problem with all/most executables, not just that one.