PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Command Line or GUI

roffisserver
April 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I am setting up a server right now and would like to know if I should install a GUI or stay with CLI. Thanks for the help!:confused:

haqking
April 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I am setting up a server right now and would like to know if I should install a GUI or stay with CLI. Thanks for the help!:confused:

servers should have CLI and no GUI, if you need to ask the question i presume you are inexperienced and so CLI will be a learning curve.

It comes down to what you know and can use, for performance and resources for the purposes of a server then CLI, but depends on your experience.

If you need a GUI i suggest a lightweight one such as LXDE or XFCE etc

Peace

rubylaser
April 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM
If you need a GUI you might as well install Ubuntu Desktop. Ubuntu server does not come with a GUI, so if you're up to the task, it's a great way to learn about Linux and use minimal resources.

haqking
April 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I you need a GUI you might as well install Ubuntu Desktop. Ubuntu server does not come with a GUI, so if you're up to the task, it's a great way to learn about Linux and use minimal resources.

well the trouble with Ubuntu desktop it is Gnome and heavy.

For a server a lightweight alternative is best if you really need a GUI in my opinion anyways.

If it is for playing and testing then everything can be done on a desktop edition, if you want the benefits of server version for a server role then CLI or lightweight DE at a push.

Peace

rubylaser
April 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
well the trouble with Ubuntu desktop it is Gnome and heavy.

For a server a lightweight alternative is best if you really need a GUI in my opinion anyways.

If it is for playing and testing then everything can be done on a desktop edition, if you want the benefits of server version for a server role then CLI or lightweight DE at a push.

Peace

I totally agree, I was stating this for the OP. If he's not experienced with the CLI, which based on the question, I'm sure he isn't, then Ubuntu Desktop would be the easiest way to get it working. Otherwise, he'll still have to install the server, and download the necessary packages to setup his lightweight DE of choice. Not that this is difficult, but may be confusing for a new CLI user. Obviously, spending the time to line to use the CLI, is really time well spent.

roffisserver
April 6th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the help! I think I will stick with command line. I like CMI better then a GUI anyways.

rubylaser
April 7th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Good choice :) Post back if you have any questions, you'll see many people are happy to help you learn.

roffisserver
April 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Most of the forums I have been on weren't very friendly. I really like this forum!

d4m1r
April 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
How much RAM does the server have? If it is under 1GB and you are using a newer version of Ubuntu, I'd still to GUI only to make sure the programs you are running have the most resources available to them.

If you've never administrated a Ubuntu server, I'd recommend a UI however as doing everything by command line is challenging for beginners (but it is ultimately more powerful).

codemaniac
April 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM
CLI with webmin will help administer your server better .
http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

nico23
April 7th, 2012, 08:31 AM
i dont get why u ask if you like console more anyway

also the question is if you must administer the server all the time. because of not it does not rally matter of you have a big gui installed or not if i am right. because you can start gui when u need to setup things but in general "server mode" you can configure it to not automatically start up the GUI.

roffisserver
April 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I have seen and used webmin before. It is really handy when managing files!