PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] create and hardcode subtitles

DataSpy
April 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have a friend that spoke at an Albanian church and someone made a DVD of it. I copied the DVD to my hard drive (video.vob) and used kdenlive to put a watermark on (video.vob) and then encoded it to .flv (video.flv) since he wants to upload it to youtube.

The next thing I have to do is add subtitles to (video.flv), my question is: how should I go about doing this? I want to hardcode the subtitles and I don't want to reencode the .flv file. Can I accomplish this with kdenlive or would I need to use another program?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

SeijiSensei
April 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Aegisub (http://www.aegisub.org/) is the most commonly-used free program to create subtitles. You'll have to re-encode the video if you want to create "hard" subtitles that are burned into the video stream itself. You can also use "soft" subtitles which are a separate stream in a container format like MKV or MP4. In that case, though, you'd need to play the videos with software that knows how to handle soft subtitles, like smplayer/mplayer.

DataSpy
April 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I was messing with this a little, I had trouble installing it on ubuntu so I installed it on windows in a vm. It also looked kinda complicated :P

What's the best way to avoid quality loss, I tried to open the .vob but it doesn't show the video. I don't want to have to encode it just so I can open the file and then reencode it.

Thanks,
Jim

SeijiSensei
April 6th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I'd say the easiest solution would be to use Handbrake (https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-releases) to rip the DVD to Matroska (MKV), create the subs in Aegisub, and store them in a .srt file. Then use Handbrake again to integrate the subs with the original video. It has options to create a hard-subbed version. Let YouTube handle the conversion from MKV to Flash for you during the upload.

DataSpy
April 6th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!