PDA

View Full Version : Randomly changing wallpaper in Precise? No more?

mmasroorali
April 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Dear All,
In the 11.10, the screen saver was withdrawn.

As an alternative, I liked the wallpapers which could be made to change at random. Now in Precise we got a new set of wallpapers, which was nice. But at the same time, it looks like that the feature to change the wallpaper at random has been withdrawn.

Is there a way I can make the wallpapers to change at random?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

cariboo907
April 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM
There has never been a utility installed by default that changes wallpapers randomly. That being said, if you right click on the desktop, and select Change Desktop Background, you will see a bunch of wallpaper thumbnails, youl should see that one has a clock face on it, select that one, and it will cycle automagically through the available desktop backgrounds.

zombifier25
April 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM
You can manually do so yourself (create .xml slideshow, hack gsettings to use the slideshow, blabla) but your life would be easier if you use Wallch to change your wallpaper.

sudo apt-get install wallch

mmasroorali
April 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
You can manually do so yourself (create .xml slideshow, hack gsettings to use the slideshow, blabla) but your life would be easier if you use Wallch to change your wallpaper.

sudo apt-get install wallch

Thanks. Wallch looked exciting at first, but it appears that you need to keep it running like some kind of player.

I am going to resort to the method pointed out by cariboo907.

grahammechanical
April 6th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Another way to do it is through System Settings>Appearence.

This feature has been available in 12.04 from the beginning. You will notice that when you select what I call the wallpaper slideshow the login screen background image reverts to the default Ubuntu background image.

We get a login background image that matches the desktop background image only if the desktop background image is static. That's life!

Regards.

mmasroorali
April 6th, 2012, 03:04 PM
There has never been a utility installed by default that changes wallpapers randomly. That being said, if you right click on the desktop, and select Change Desktop Background, you will see a bunch of wallpaper thumbnails, youl should see that one has a clock face on it, select that one, and it will cycle automagically through the available desktop backgrounds.

I did setup with an image with clock face. Please see the attached image. But my desktop background remains static with this one. This remains like this even after several logouts/logins and reboots.

In 11.10, with the same setting, my desktop background used to change every ten minutes or something like that.

Am I missing something here?

eulu
April 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM
wallch is pretty cool thanks for the tip... it crashes hard when trying to use the folder monitor feature, but they'll probably fix that eventually..

cariboo907
April 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I did setup with an image with clock face. Please see the attached image. But my desktop background remains static with this one. This remains like this even after several logouts/logins and reboots.

In 11.10, with the same setting, my desktop background used to change every ten minutes or something like that.

Am I missing something here?

I tried that one, it didn't work for me either, I think I recall seeing a bug about it, I'll try to see if I can find it.

jbicha
April 7th, 2012, 12:44 AM
The Ubuntu community wallpaper slideshow changes on the half-hour.

rburkartjo
April 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
since upgraded to 12.04 been using wallch when logged in unity and works great. i have it set to autostart. however in xfce it doesnt work and you have to use desktopnova.

mmasroorali
April 14th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I tried that one, it didn't work for me either, I think I recall seeing a bug about it, I'll try to see if I can find it.

It works, when another clock faced background is chosen.

Really strange.

curiousapprentice
April 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Im using Wallch on Ubuntu 11.10. It might work on Ubuntu 12.04 too. Give it a try. apt://wallch