PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get my new Novatel (Verizon) 551L 4G LTE USB Modem working with Beta 2!

kevpan815
April 6th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted here due to NOT being allowed to use my Dad's Comcast Network to test Ubuntu 12.04 (I had it on a Virtual Machine but still got caught), and my existing Apple IPhone 4 3G Personal Hotspot was too slow to download Ubuntu 12.04. However, I am back running Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2, thanks to my new Verizon Wireless (Novatel Wireless)4G LTE 551L USB Modem, however I am having a small problem trying to get it to work with Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2. If somebody could provide a link to a webpage with detailed instructions on how I can get this to work I would be very greatfull for your help.

kevpan815
April 18th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Hello everyone, I previously asked a question about how to get my Novatel 551L USB Modem (Verizon Wireless 4G LTE) to work with Beta 2 of Ubuntu 12.04 but never got an answer from anyone. Does anyone (including Ubuntu Staff) have any idea how I can get it working? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

FishboyFive
April 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM
this may be some help i was able to find this forum from a google search

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread15081.html

sorry that is all i could find

dzponce11
April 18th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Hi!
I think the problem with your device( personally i don't know, never used mobile broadband before. :/) is that 12.04 is in BETA. It probably is incompatible with your device.

Reply if something comes up!

~~~~dzponce11

lisati
April 18th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Threads merged.
Please do not start duplicate threads, because it can dilute the community's efforts to help. If you haven't received a response for 24 hours, "Bumping" your thread is an acceptable alternative.

kevpan815
April 18th, 2012, 03:48 AM
this may be some help i was able to find this forum from a google search

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread15081.html

sorry that is all i could find

Yeah I already found that article in a Google Search, however Hacking this Modem is out of the question as it is both completely brand new 4G LTE USB Modem and I have TEC (The $6.99Total Care package which includes Accidential Damage Protection from Asurion and Extended Warrenty from Verizon Wireless) and I don't think Asurion and Verizon Wireless would like it if I Hacked the Modem causing non-Accidential Damage as I will not be Eligible for another Modem (@ 2 Year Contract Pricing) until December 2013. Thanks anyways.

kevpan815
April 18th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Threads merged.
Please do not start duplicate threads, because it can dilute the community's efforts to help. If you haven't received a response for 24 hours, "Bumping" your thread is an acceptable alternative.

Sorry about that, i am not usually as active here as everyone else here and are not familiar with all the rules here. I will remember that for future questions that I don't recieve a reply.

kevpan815
April 18th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Hi!
I think the problem with your device( personally i don't know, never used mobile broadband before. :/) is that 12.04 is in BETA. It probably is incompatible with your device.

Reply if something comes up!

~~~~dzponce11

I think so too, that is the main reason why I am using Beta 2 as a WUBI (Dual Boot with Windows for those of you who are not familiar what WUBI Install is) Installation right now with Windows XP Service Pack 3.

ryley
April 18th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I just had a quick look through the link posted, no where does it mention anything about hacking the modem itself. Every modification is strictly a modification of your linux installation. The modem never gets altered at all.

kevpan815
April 18th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I just had a quick look through the link posted, no where does it mention anything about hacking the modem itself. Every modification is strictly a modification of your linux installation. The modem never gets altered at all.

I am not all that familar with how to Hack Ubuntu, as I have a Computer Networking Education (with Windows, not Linux), and not a Computer Programming Education. I did read in that post that VZWInernet is only available to Corporate Users, and right now I am UnEmployed and just Solo Alpha/Beta Testing certin products without any Corporate Sponsership so I don't think that Verizon is going to give me the User Name and Password to Login.