View Full Version : [lubuntu] no underscores on menu items

April 4th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I created a small glade (ver 3.10) UI program with menu shotcuts. The underscore shows up when I run it under KDE or Gnome, but not under LXDE/Openbox. The shotcuts work fine, just the underscore on the menu item doesn't show up.

Can anyone tell me why that might happen or what to check or what controls that behavior?

April 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Not quite sure what you mean, a sreenshot might help.

For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755)

April 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Applications have menus items. Most menu items have an underscore under one letter of the menu item name to indicate that you can press <alt><letter> in order to activate that menu item.

If I boot the latest version of Lubuntu from CD, and simply press 'Enter' when it asks if I want to try it instead of installing it, the system boots up into a graphical interface and the underscores on menu shortcuts appear just fine.

However, if, when that first screen appears asking if I want to try before installing it, I press the down arrow key, then the up arrow key, so the first item is highlighted again, THEN press 'Enter', the system boots up to a normal prompt. When I type 'startx', the GUI comes up with a different wallpaper and none of the menu items have underscores on them.

I'm trying to figure out what not just why that is happening, but what controls whether or not the underscore on menu items appear or not?

Would anyone know what controls the display of those underlines for shortcuts and why moving the highlight off and back on to the 'Try' selection of the opening screen upon boot, causes this behavior?