PDA

View Full Version : Multiple copies of programs

johnhenry
April 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM
If one tries to open a new copy of a program in a different window, Precise seems to just redirect one back to the first copy.

One may, for example, want to open a new Terminal if the first copy is busy running a script or holding information one wants to keep available. Equally, the same could be true with a browser, LibreOffice or with VirtualBox. This now seems to be impossible.

In previous versions of Ubuntu opening several copies of such programs was simple. I hope this is just a temporary bug, and not a new feature of Precise. It would render it effectively useless for many practices I often need to employ.

kc1di
April 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
if one tries to open a new copy of a program in a different window, precise seems to just redirect one back to the first copy.

One may, for example, want to open a new terminal if the first copy is busy running a script or holding information one wants to keep available. Equally, the same could be true with a browser, libreoffice or with virtualbox. This now seems to be impossible.

In previous versions of ubuntu opening several copies of such programs was simple. I hope this is just a temporary bug, and not a new feature of precise. It would render it effectively useless for many practices i often need to employ.

if you have one teminal up and running and want another right click on the terminal icon and it will open another incidence of terminal.

it seems to work for chromium but not for FireFox.
Cheers :)

santosh83
April 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
If one tries to open a new copy of a program in a different window, Precise seems to just redirect one back to the first copy.

One may, for example, want to open a new Terminal if the first copy is busy running a script or holding information one wants to keep available. Equally, the same could be true with a browser, LibreOffice or with VirtualBox. This now seems to be impossible.

In previous versions of Ubuntu opening several copies of such programs was simple. I hope this is just a temporary bug, and not a new feature of Precise. It would render it effectively useless for many practices I often need to employ.

This is an Unity (http://unity.ubuntu.com/) feature.

Although I've never used Unity, I believe you can launch a new copy of any program by using middle-click on the icon. SHIFT+click is also reported as doing the same.

johnhenry
April 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Solved!

It is no use trying to open a new copy of a program from the Launcher. But if one opens subsequent copies from the Dash Home, it works perfectly well.

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Solved!

It is no use trying to open a new copy of a program from the Launcher. But if one opens subsequent copies from the Dash Home, it works perfectly well.

Working as intended here. Open FF as normal then right click and choose Open a new Window does exactly that.

Or pressing mouse wheel while pointer over icon in launcher works too.

johnhenry
April 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Brilliant! Thanks, Philinux. That's what I call help!

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Brilliant! Thanks, Philinux. That's what I call help!

You put solved in your previous post and obviously there is a problem with your settings which I'm not suffering with. Therefore the install at my end is behaving normally. An observation.

It may be there are conflicting settings somewhere in your .config files in home.

Maybe a unity --reset might restore the default settings.

Is yours an upgrade or a clean install.

johnhenry
April 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Solved!

Sorry. It really IS solved, and I meant the Thanks genuinely. It seemed so obvious your reply had solved it, it seemed superfluous to say so. My apologies.

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Solved!

Sorry. It really IS solved, and I meant the Thanks genuinely. It seemed so obvious your reply had solved it, it seemed superfluous to say so. My apologies.

Good to go then onward with testing > Next lol.