PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New server project

roffisserver
April 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
I need help on making a new server manager! I will be setting up a server so you can install it right from terminal. I have a few files for it and would really like to expand it. I have all the basics and want to put in some advanced features. If you are interested please reply or PM me! I would like to see this be as cool as webmin.

Have a jolly day,
Roffis

arrrghhh
April 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM
:confused:

You can install a server right from the terminal. That's pretty much how you do it...?

:confused:

zeljkojagust
April 4th, 2012, 08:34 AM
With respect, but Webmin and similar tools are for noobs and light linux users. The only right way to manage and administer a server is terminal. Period!

spynappels
April 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM
With respect, but Webmin and similar tools are for noobs and light linux users. The only right way to manage and administer a server is terminal. Period!

CLI is probably the best way, but not the only right way. Any way that gets the job done effectively is a right way, and tools like Webmin, if used intelligently, can be a great training aid, and can also be helpful when managing large numbers of servers, through it's clustering capabilities.

As for these only being used by noobs and linux light users, that is patent rubbish, many large enterprises use tools like Landscape or puppet to simplify server management and patching and Webmin can be used for similar tasks.

roffisserver
April 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I love the Command line interface! But I want some extra tools even if I don't use them. They could be for noobs.

That Guy Is Here
April 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I don't quite see the point of creating another server manager, why not just build atop of a already diverse server administrative software like Webmin? Or even better contribute to Webmin!

roffisserver
April 7th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I meant the manager arrrghhh

haqking
April 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I meant the manager arrrghhh

I am confused, 3 days ago you are writing about creating your own server manager compared to webmin ?

And today you are asking if you should even install a GUI for server http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953559

Just seems like something is missing here ;-)