PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LightDM not showing custom wallpaper

0xnak
April 4th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I am using a custom desktop wallpaper. LightDM/login screen shows the default wallpaper.

If I use one of the built in wallpapers, LightDM correctly displays them as well, just not custom ones.

In 11.10 it was a matter of just editing

/etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf

I have also checked

/var/lib/AccountsService/users/myusername

Both files correctly show the path to my custom background image. I even moved it to the default /usr/share/backgrounds directory, but that didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

kaldor
April 4th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Confirmed here. It works sometimes, but 99% of the time not.

mc4man
April 4th, 2012, 06:11 AM
If you added to /usr/share/backgrounds then did you also add a new entry to /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-wallpapers.xml using same format as others?

Otherwise, if custom image is elsewhere, (in $HOME) you may want to check the permissions
The folder it's in should be drwxr-xr-x
The file should be -rw-r--r--

Hylas de Niall
April 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Greeter all works fine for me. My wallpaper is just in the 'pictures' folder too.

edit: my wp is the right size and doesn't need automatically scaling to screen size. Might scaling to size on-the-fly be an issue for the greeter I wonder?

ratcheer
April 4th, 2012, 01:20 PM
A week or so ago, my system displayed my wallpaper selection for the lightdm login screen, but now it just shows the Ubuntu default. And my wallpaper is one of the standard Ubuntu choices.

Tim

odysseusjak
April 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM
After playing with this, I found that the image has to be in the "Pictures" folder and not in a sub folder. I have a "Wallpapers" folder within my "Pictures" folder. If i selected an image in the "Wallpapers" folder, it would not show up on log in. If I copied or moved it to the root "Picture" folder, then it appeared.

ubuntu27
April 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Is it related to this bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/970634)?

ratcheer
April 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I changed wallpapers yesterday, and now my system is again (correctly) showing my wallpaper on the login screen (after a few seconds of the purple with white dots screen). My old wallpaper was one of the Ubuntu selections, my new one was downloaded from the internet and is stored in mt Pictures folder.

Weird.

Tim

0xnak
April 6th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I added an entry to

/usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-wallpapers.xml

pointing to my custom wallpaper in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory. LightDM now correctly shows it.

I cam to 12.04 by upgrading from 11.10, not sure if that had anything to do with this. When 12.04 is final, I am going to wipe and install it fresh. I'll let you all know if this is still a bug then.

ubuntu27
April 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM
After playing with this, I found that the image has to be in the "Pictures" folder and not in a sub folder. I have a "Wallpapers" folder within my "Pictures" folder. If i selected an image in the "Wallpapers" folder, it would not show up on log in. If I copied or moved it to the root "Picture" folder, then it appeared.

Everyone please comment and add yourselves to the "Does this bug affect you?" if you have the same problem as odysseusjak.

BUG#970634 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-greeter/+bug/970634)

It is cool to have a workaround, but it is still very important to fix the underlining issue. :)

grahammechanical
April 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Were we aware that in 12.04 the Image Viewer, Eye of Gnome Image Viewer has an option to "Make the current picture your desktop background?"

I think that it also can create a background slide show for you. It puts the Images in the Pictures folder along with the XML script that Gnome Control Centre reads when setting a background image.

You see, we learn these things when we run the Checkbox Application Tests.

http://www.theorangenotebook.com/

Regards.