PDA

View Full Version : Which OS would you guys go with if you had just built or bought a new PC?

TeamRocket1233c
April 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Say you has just bought or built a new PC. Which of the following would you put on it? Xubuntu, Ubuntu custom install, Fedora Xfce spin, Fedora custom install, Crunchbang, Tiny Core, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana, Oracle Solaris, or Windows 7?

yetiman64
April 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
Why is "custom install" specified for Ubuntu and Fedora while the rest are normal ?

I'd just stick on the latest Ubuntu (Unity) and get customizing/tweaking to suit my needs. Maybe dual boot with Debian or Xubuntu. Vote to come when I understand what you mean :p

TeamRocket1233c
April 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
I put both stock installs for Xubuntu and Fedora Xfce spin.

"Custom install" for Ubuntu and Fedora are referring to a system that has been completely customized and built up from a minimal install.

No need for a custom install with Crunchbang, as it's perfect in stock form.

OpenBSD IS a custom install from the beginning as it doesn't ship with a fully functional desktop, you have to install that yourself.

IDK if you can do a minimal desktop install of OpenIndiana or not so I put OI as stock install.

Oracle Solaris and Windows 7 are closed-source, so you're pretty much stuck with stock in that case.

If I was doing a custom Fedora or Ubuntu install, I'd start off with a minimal command-line install, install ALSA and Xorg, and then install GDM as the login manager, Fluxbox as the WM, Thunar as the file manager, and xfce4-power-manager for power management.

If I were to install OpenBSD, Xfce would be the desktop to be used in that case.

yetiman64
April 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I put both stock installs for Xubuntu and Fedora Xfce spin.

"Custom install" for Ubuntu and Fedora are referring to a system that has been completely customized and built up from a minimal install.
But no option for a stock Ubuntu install or stock Fedora install, ok, I understand now. Can't vote. ;)

This actually wipes out the majority of potential voters for your poll considering they are the flagship releases for both distros. I'm a bit surprised they aren't included while some less used ones are ie. Tiny Core, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana and OpenSolaris. Not important to me or anything, it just got me wondering why. Cheers :)

winh8r
April 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
I would install Crunchbang.

(Although I do like Fedora 16 though!)

TeamRocket1233c
April 2nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
A stock Ubuntu install is the defaut Unity-based install. Stock Fedora install is the default, GNOME Shell-based install.

Didn't put them down as options though.

TeamRocket1233c
April 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
But no option for a stock Ubuntu install or stock Fedora install, ok, I understand now. Can't vote. ;)

This actually wipes out the majority of potential voters for your poll considering they are the flagship releases for both distros. I'm a bit surprised they aren't included while some less used ones are ie. Tiny Core, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana and OpenSolaris. Not important to me or anything, it just got me wondering why. Cheers :)

Xubuntu is Ubuntu with Xfce instead of Unity as the default desktop, and Fedora Xfce spin is Fedora with Xfce instead of GNOME Shell as the default desktop.

CharlesA
April 2nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
Windows ftw?

Of course the last PC I built was for gaming so... :p

No wait, the last one was built was for my server and it's running Ubuntu.

Drat!

EDIT: No love for KDE? :(

TeamRocket1233c
April 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
:)

yetiman64
April 2nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Xubuntu is Ubuntu with Xfce instead of Unity as the default desktop, and Fedora Xfce spin is Fedora with Xfce instead of GNOME Shell as the default desktop.
I have 2 installs of Xubuntu on here so I know that. Despite the controversy with regard to Unity and Gnome shell, to not include them in a poll such as this when the title is as it is, is misleading as far as any results go. Unity and Gnome shell users not being able to vote skews any result, not that cafe polls are in any way really important. I do see where this thread is going now, I'm out, bye.

Regards, yetiman64.

tom.swartz07
April 3rd, 2012, 12:25 AM
I voted for Crunchbang.

I would however, prefer to install Arch on the system. I just like living on the bleeding edge, you know?
Crunchbang is a very close second. Ive used that on several computers for nearly a year each.

mamamia88
April 4th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Windows 7 because when i finally get enough money saved for a new rig it's going to be for gaming. I have every console out with the exception of 3ds and i kind of want a gaming rig

not found
April 4th, 2012, 12:59 AM
:( no option for cake. I have now decided not to participate in any Polls where there is no option to select cake :/

troymius
April 4th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Xubuntu, Xubuntu, Xubuntu. I tried Ubu, Lubu, Kubu, Fedo, Suse, Mage, Mint, yada, yada, yada... Xubuntu is currently best OS for a normal dektop PC use in my opinion.

Btw my 3 year old son turns it on, logs in as guest, starts Gimp and draws pictures... I have no idea who taught him this because I did not.

synaptix
April 4th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Windows 7 (or Windows 8 depending) as it would be a pure gaming rig.

spynappels
April 4th, 2012, 10:15 AM
No standard Ubuntu option, so as the Dragons say, I'm out.

keithpeter
April 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Hello All

I tend to use recycled hardware, but, assuming a new computer then I went for Ubuntu custom. That assumes hardware drivers available &c.

12.04 Netinstall a CLI base system, then install gnome-core (minimal gnome-shell with gdm) and my applications software. Working fine on an old HP workstation at present.

Why no Ubuntu Default option?

haqking
April 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Slackware-Current

philinux
April 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM
A stock Ubuntu install is the defaut Unity-based install. Stock Fedora install is the default, GNOME Shell-based install.

Didn't put them down as options though.

Cant vote then.

nothingspecial
April 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Me neither

Dry Lips
April 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Many of these operative systems listed here are relatively marginal, and many mainstream distros isn't mentioned at all... I think the poll is a bit absurd to be honest. :/

Sylos
April 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Built a new PC recently. Installed Ubuntu 11.10 on one partition and Ubuntu Studio 10.04 on the other.

Im just testing out Bodhi Linux on my laptop at the moment and like that a lot so far (E17 in particular). Just wish they'd call E17 something different - the name reminds me of poor quality boy band from the 90's. Anyhow, Bodhi may get a look in for future builds.

Docaltmed
April 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Let me rephrase the OP's question:

"Which of these obscure distro or distro derivatives would you put on your computer, assuming, of course, that none of the more suitable and far more widely used alternatives would not be available, thus making this an inaccurate survey that people can later point to and claim 'see? EVERYBODY hates UNITY!!!'?"

gutterslob
April 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Say you has just bought or built a new PC. Which of the following would you put on it? Xubuntu, Ubuntu custom install, Fedora Xfce spin, Fedora custom install, Crunchbang, Tiny Core, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana, Oracle Solaris, or Windows 7?Way too vague a question.

It depends on what the said PC would be used for. If all a person wanted to do was play the latest Modern Battlefield game, it'd be pretty daft to recommend anything other than Windows 7, am I right?

Same applies to me. If it was a self-built desktop for general use (meaning mixture of work and pr0n), then I'd make sure the hardware was as open source friendly as possible (probably not the newest and greatest specs), and install OpenBSD, since that's what I'm running on my current desktops. That's what I voted for, btw. I generally avoid hardware that requires restricted/proprietary drivers as much as possible.

If it was a laptop, I'd probably go with a Linux distro, since Linux-PHC undervolting is practically essential for getting the most out of the battery (also keeps temps down a bit). Would probably go with Arch or Debian Sid and build up from a minimal install. From your list, I say Crunchbang would be a good compromise, though I'd convert the sources from Squeeze to Sid.