PDA

View Full Version : Unity - Rearrange Lens Items?

Roasted
March 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I've been tinkering with 12.04 and Unity is really growing on me. One thing I'd like to change, given the option, would be rearranging the items in the lens. I just don't utilize recent items that much, and even if I did, I'd still rather have my applications listed A-Z as the primary window. That way I could just hit the lens and bam, there's my apps, versus hitting the lens icon, apps (option 2 @ bottom of lens) then "show 115 more results" and searching there.

Is there a way to rearrange items, by chance? Or maybe install another lens that has this layout?

Paddy Landau
March 30th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I have not come across anything like that, but Unity does allow you to write your own lenses (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Lenses). That may help you.

Do be aware that a full list of applications in alphabetical order would most likely not be useful to you, because there are so many installed.

Roasted
March 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I have not come across anything like that, but Unity does allow you to write your own lenses (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Lenses). That may help you.

Do be aware that a full list of applications in alphabetical order would most likely not be useful to you, because there are so many installed.

If A-Z is not useful, then how on earth would I locate whatever I wanted? (besides random luck of course) For example, Chromium is at the bottom, Firefox towards the top. There's not even a grouping based on category it seems. A-Z would allow me to fire away at the C-F range to look for Chromium and Firefox, whereas now it's complete chaos. In all honesty, A-Z is really the end goal, as it makes things quick and efficient.

I've talked to other users toying with 12.04 and they too confirmed that items are scattered. Let's hope for an A-Z organization before the final release... or else I'd be asking some questions.

To be more on topic - I found out holding the super key reveals shortcuts, and super + A defaults to the applications lens, which is a heckuva lot nicer than having to do super key, apps lens, more apps, etc. :p

Paddy Landau
March 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM
If A-Z is not useful, then how on earth would I locate whatever I wanted?
Press the Super key (or click the icon); start typing what you want; by the time you get to "chr" (for Chromium) or "bro" (for browser) you should already see Chromium.

philinux
March 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Moved to Precise testing forum.

Roasted
March 30th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Press the Super key (or click the icon); start typing what you want; by the time you get to "chr" (for Chromium) or "bro" (for browser) you should already see Chromium.

Oh, I agree there 100%. But that's the "keyboard centric" way of doing it. Implementing A-Z allows you to be efficient even when in mouse-mode as well.

In other news, it seems as if I have lost my ability to Super + A on my one laptop. My desktop and other laptop are fine though, which is weird. I ran several updates and apt-get upgrade on this laptop, but no dice. I talked to some users in ubuntu+1 IRC and some said it worked, other said it didn't. Anybody else have an opinion?

mc4man
March 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM
A-Z in the apps lens is intended, currently broken

Edit: - you can't move 'recent' below 'installed' though if you don't use recent it can be removed from the lens altogether along with the 'available apps'