PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use vi editor?

troymius
March 29th, 2012, 01:22 AM
At work I have 2 groups of colleagues. One that use strictly vi. They are about 20% minority. The rest prefers some GUI kind of editor. (Sorry if I neglected somebody using emacs). I wonder if the ratio is the same outside. Hence the poll...

wojox
March 29th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Vim actually. Plain old vanilla vi scares me sometimes. :p

Bachstelze
March 29th, 2012, 04:16 AM
vim is my main editor. I sometimes use vi on systems that don't have vim (router comes to mind), but that's rare.

kevdog
March 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM
+1 for vim -- its really quick -- but I'm also really bad at it.

SeijiSensei
March 29th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I use jed (http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/), an Emacs clone.

CharlesA
March 29th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Vim actually. Plain old vanilla vi scares me sometimes. :p
This is what I use as well.

Please don't even mention emacs.. it's scares me. :p

PaulW2U
March 29th, 2012, 06:55 AM
This is what I use as well.

Please don't even mention emacs.. it's scares me. :p

Emacs is on my todo list to learn. :)

In the meantime I'll be using Vim, sometimes with the cream add-on to make life a little simpler. I've never used vi though.

era86
March 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
vim whenever i can

zombifier25
March 29th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Tried vi. Pretty cool, but prefer nano more.
And, (don't faint) emacs sometimes.

spynappels
March 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I use vim on production Solaris systems because that's all there is. I tend to use nano on Ubuntu servers though, does that make me a cheat?

Pand5461
March 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Use vim sometimes for "massive editing". Really love keyboard macros and commands like 10000@a (it's like "Do everything good" button).

BeRoot ReBoot
March 29th, 2012, 10:22 AM
There is no option for "using vi violates the core tenets of my religious beliefs".

Proud disciple of the Church of Emacs!

Grenage
March 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I use vim for any terminal editing, and gedit for any gui editing.

yetiman64
March 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Only rarely use vi/vim with the command "sudo visudo", as needed.

Otherwise for ease of use I use nano in terminal or gedit for graphical.

Bandit
March 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I only use vi as a last resort. Just never really liked it I guess and I have always found myself using pico or nano as they always have seemed to come installed on almost every distro I have used for over 20 years..

BeRoot ReBoot
March 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I only use vi as a last resort. Just never really liked it I guess and I have always found myself using pico or nano as they always have seemed to come installed on almost every distro I have used for over 20 years..

Just stop it. You have no excuse for using nano.

Dragonbite
March 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Our external web server is running FreeBSD and I have to work on the pages via PuTTY (SSH). The Sys Admin "picked" Vi because it already comes on most Unix-based systems.

I am slowly figuring out how to navigate it, but definitely prefer using Linux so I can SSH into it, use the file manager to find the file and Gedit or Kate to open, edit and save it. So much easier.

Alas, I only have Windows at work and don't get that luxury.

ratcheer
March 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I always use vi. I have been using it so long, it is second nature. I even use it on the command line.

Tim

Elfy
March 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

BrokenKingpin
March 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I used to in college (software development). I still use it for editing simple config files from the terminal, but I do all my coding in full IDEs now. I still like VI as an editor, I just like how IDEs handle the solution files and all the other features they provide.

Dave_L
March 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM
My preferred editor is emacs. It took a while for me to learn it, but it was worth it because it makes me feel superior to those who can't or won't use it. :p

I've learned enough about the basics of vi to use it when necessary, but I generally avoid it.

nutrapi
March 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM
vim with all its plugins and syntax highlighting glory!

SeijiSensei
March 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Our external web server is running FreeBSD and I have to work on the pages via PuTTY (SSH). The Sys Admin "picked" Vi because it already comes on most Unix-based systems.

You could use scp to copy the files over to your Linux machine, use whatever you prefer, then copy them back again.

If the server runs X and has graphical editors available, you could run "ssh -X" then launch the graphical editor on the server with, e.g., "kate &". The program will be displayed on your remote client.

lykwydchykyn
March 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Despite using emacs now for a few years, I can't get rid of the muscle memory that keeps me opening config files in vim when doing quick edits.

Which is fine, but 9/10 times I end up hitting some emacs shortcut sequence that trashes the file and sends vim into some obscure mode that I can never get out of.

Then for the next few hours all my emacs buffers get littered with stray ":wq"s while I try to transition my fingers back.

Dragonbite
March 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
You could use scp to copy the files over to your Linux machine, use whatever you prefer, then copy them back again.

If the server runs X and has graphical editors available, you could run "ssh -X" then launch the graphical editor on the server with, e.g., "kate &". The program will be displayed on your remote client.

The problem is I am stuck with Windows XP at work, and my home Linux systems... well, why do I want to do work when I am home?!:lolflag:

CharlesA
March 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
The problem is I am stuck with Windows XP at work, and my home Linux systems... well, why do I want to do work when I am home?!:lolflag:
XMing + Putty works fine for me for graphical stuff on a Windows box, but I usually just stick to either SSH or connecting to my Lucid box via NX.

BbUiDgZ
March 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
nano for me

nothingspecial
March 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM
nano for me too.

No excuse needed :cool:

matthew.ball
April 1st, 2012, 03:41 AM
Despite using emacs now for a few years, I can't get rid of the muscle memory that keeps me opening config files in vim when doing quick edits.

Which is fine, but 9/10 times I end up hitting some emacs shortcut sequence that trashes the file and sends vim into some obscure mode that I can never get out of.

Then for the next few hours all my emacs buffers get littered with stray ":wq"s while I try to transition my fingers back.
Have you tried viper (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/ViperMode) or evil (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil)? I haven't tried either, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has used both editors what the advantages/disadvantages to such an approach would be (in some sense, it gets the best of both worlds I imagine).

lykwydchykyn
April 2nd, 2012, 02:57 AM
Have you tried viper (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/ViperMode) or evil (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil)? I haven't tried either, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has used both editors what the advantages/disadvantages to such an approach would be (in some sense, it gets the best of both worlds I imagine).

I've seen them, but I haven't used them simply because my vim knowledge is really very basic, which is why I still use it for quick config file edits. So really the emacs keys are the ones I want to be using.

Now, if there were a way to use emacs keys in vim, that would be what I want...

dniMretsaM
April 2nd, 2012, 03:21 AM
Emacs all the way!

There is no option for "using vi violates the core tenets of my religious beliefs".

Proud disciple of the Church of Emacs!

The background picture in my Emacs terminal profile is St. IGNUcius with the caption "There is no system but GNU... ...and Linux is one of it's kernels"). :lolflag:

troymius
April 4th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Emacs all the way!

The background picture in my Emacs terminal profile is St. IGNUcius with the caption "There is no system but GNU... ...and Linux is one of it's kernels"). :lolflag:

Wow if i knew there are so many emacs users I would have added it as a poll item. Sorry. What makes emacs so special???

Toz
April 4th, 2012, 03:54 AM
vi and only vi for editing configuration files, scripting, even note taking. Hell, the latest version of my resume was done in vi.

Primefalcon
April 4th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I use VIM all the time which I would say probally counts since thats what most think of as VI

CharlesA
April 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Well it is vi IMproved. ;)

gutterslob
April 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Doesn't everyone use Vi? I mean, even RMS does when no one's watching him. (proof (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vi#Notable_vi_Users))

cortman
April 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Vi vi vi is the editor of the beast.
:)

Emacs user here. And like Toz, I use it for about everything.

dniMretsaM
April 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Wow if i knew there are so many emacs users I would have added it as a poll item. Sorry. What makes emacs so special???

Why I use Emacs (not necessarily why it's better than Vi, Vim, Nano, Kate, or anything else):
*It's FL/OSS
*It has a CLI and a GUI (I generally use the CLI)
*It can do everything from editing to reading man pages to spreadsheets to web browsing to compiling to email to Tetris.
*It has great shortcuts.
*You don't have to switch from input mode to command mode (or whatever they're called in Vi). Personally, I find switching very unintuitive. But that may be just because I'm not used to it.
*It has been around forever (GNU Emacs has been around since the mid '80s) and is very stable.

Some of those things can be found in other editors (including Vi), but Emacs is the one I prefer.

EDIT: Also, if a Vi user needs to use a computer that has Emacs on it, Emacs has a fully-functional Vi emulator built in (called Viper).