PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video not recognised by xbox360?

captainnoobing
March 28th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hello folks!

fantastic software by the way.

I will run my story by you and see if anybody can help with it.

I have been transfering movies over to a external hard drive and then plugging the hard drive into the usb of the xbox360 and watching them ok (The bad old days when i had windows xp installed ;))

I have tried this with Ubuntu 11.10 with a mpeg4 movie and it transfers onto the hard disc ok but when i go to find the film via xbob360 media player it cant recognise the film on the disc.

Any advice would be appreciated (i have also tried putting the film onto a memory stick and this also is not recognised)

Claus7
March 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Concerning your problem, recently I was dealing with conversion of video files and while doing so I came across some posts about xbox and mp4 (mpeg4) compatibility. Unfortunately I cannot help you much, yet this is the information I can provide:

Some mp4 videos won't play in xbox if they do not have the right codec even if they are indeed mp4.
If the codec is different than the one that xbox supports you won't be able to watch the video.

If I were in your shoes I would start searching about that. In order to verify this you should take a look on the properties of the file you are trying to play from your ubu box and take a look also on the specific codecs that xbox supports.

Hello and welcome aboard!
Regards!

captainnoobing
March 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for reply claus7.

I should add that since changing to ubuntu i have used transmission to download two movies and neither play on my xbox via external hard drive or memory stick.

The xbox doesnt even see the films!

I can play all the films on the hard disk that i used windows and vuze to download even mp4.

why doesnt xbox recognise movies downloaded via ubuntu/transmission?

captainnoobing
March 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I think i understand what the problem is.

You were correct Claus7 it is the format that is the problem.

one video is MKV format and the other is XMS.

why do uploaders choose unpopular codecs?

Claus7
March 29th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Hello,

glad you are approaching the solution to your issue. If I were in your shoes I would try to find a nice converter that suits my needs: avidemux, ffmpeg e.t.c..

As fas as the choice is concerned, I cannot help you.

Regards!