PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 3.4 released. some of which should hit Precise.

philinux
March 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/new-gnome-3-4-release-offers-features-fun-ui-finesse/

sgage
March 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/new-gnome-3-4-release-offers-features-fun-ui-finesse/

A fair amount has hit Precise already, including Gnome Shell. More to come, I'm sure (all those 3.3.92's will be 3.4's by and by). Everything is working quite well.

t.rei
March 28th, 2012, 08:14 PM
The questions I'm currently busy with finding out:

Web - how do I make button 4 and 5 work "properly"
Web - how do I get a bookmarks toolbar or something similarly usefull going to actually use some of my 100+ bookmarks
Contacts - how do I delete contacts
Epiphany - the meta-contact-feature is gone?
Documents - JS-Error
Tracker - going crazy?
Nautilus - is there any way of getting the Sidebar Bookmarks and "Computer" Bookmarks merged and sorted?

Oh well, there's still something held back on the upgrade, so I'll just wait and see if some issues are resolved. Right now the usual "firefox + pidgin + marlin" is doing the way better job, imho. Love the gnome-shell, though.

philinux
March 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM
A fair amount has hit Precise already, including Gnome Shell. More to come, I'm sure (all those 3.3.92's will be 3.4's by and by). Everything is working quite well.

Acknowledged. Posted this so folks would know not all will hit precise due to LTS.

sgage
March 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM
The questions I'm currently busy with finding out:

Web - how do I make button 4 and 5 work "properly"
Web - how do I get a bookmarks toolbar or something similarly usefull going to actually use some of my 100+ bookmarks
Contacts - how do I delete contacts
Epiphany - the meta-contact-feature is gone?
Documents - JS-Error
Tracker - going crazy?
Nautilus - is there any way of getting the Sidebar Bookmarks and "Computer" Bookmarks merged and sorted?

Oh well, there's still something held back on the upgrade, so I'll just wait and see if some issues are resolved. Right now the usual "firefox + pidgin + marlin" is doing the way better job, imho. Love the gnome-shell, though.

Well, I said everything was working well, but I don't use any of those apps (except nautilus, of course). I use Thunderbird's address book, Firefox, and for search nothing beats Recoll IMO.

I really am liking Gnome Shell. I need to use Windows a fair amount for work, and I find myself throwing the mouse pointer to the upper left corner a lot :KS

herrsausm
March 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM

ACK. Only thing I've hit is Ctrl+^ (switch between windows of the same application) does not work anymore after upgrading to precise yesterday. I've opened https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/967008, can anyone confirm or object?

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM

I just wish all of the Gnome Shell extensions could keep up this quickly. I'm tired of losing them all every time I update. :)

sgage
March 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I just wish all of the Gnome Shell extensions could keep up this quickly. I'm tired of losing them all every time I update. :)

Most of them will work if you just go into their metadata.json file and add "3.4.0". I've only had a couple that wouldn't work that way. I'm sure once 3.4 has really settled in things will be modified fairly quickly.

screaminj3sus
March 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Yeah, afaik precise will have most of gnome 3.4, just a few apps like totem won't be.

Quackers
March 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
No 3.4 here yet (unless it's disguised as 3.3.92 :-))

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Most of them will work if you just go into their metadata.json file and add "3.4.0". I've only had a couple that wouldn't work that way. I'm sure once 3.4 has really settled in things will be modified fairly quickly.

A lot of them I've had work that way, but I've had a few that won't work at all.

suprman2020
March 29th, 2012, 02:02 AM
What I'm really curious about is the smooth scrolling. Is that coming to 12.04 or will it come later? Also will the ricotz ppa contain the stuff that doesn't make it to 12.04?

mc4man
March 29th, 2012, 02:21 AM
What I'm really curious about is the smooth scrolling. Is that coming to 12.04 or will it come later? Also will the ricotz ppa contain the stuff that doesn't make it to 12.04?
I have smooth scrolling here now, most obviously in nautilus & gedit, actually one thing that mysteriously breaks down every once & a while with no apparent cause.

screaminj3sus
March 29th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Enabled proposed updates and got a bunch of the gnome 3.4 stuff. working great so far, no issues.

This already works for me in gtk3 apps like nautilus, gedit, and ubuntu software center.

the ruler
March 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
No 3.4 here yet (unless it's disguised as 3.3.92 :-))

Here it is:http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/gnome_shell?dist=precise

forrestcupp
March 29th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Is there any way to force the Gnome Shell Extensions web site to let me download an extension so I can try adding my version to metadata.json? Right now it won't let me install anything that isn't made for my version.

sgage
March 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Is there any way to force the Gnome Shell Extensions web site to let me download an extension so I can try adding my version to metadata.json? Right now it won't let me install anything that isn't made for my version.

Good question - I haven't been able to figure out how. You'd think that the authors of the extensions would be able to add "3.4.0" to their metadata files. I'm sure they will over the next few days, now that it's a final stable release and not the developing moving target it's been for a while.

Helkaluin
March 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Documents - JS-Error

Please confirm: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-documents/+bug/960179

wojox
March 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
It's here..... :p

rigel4
March 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Sorry i have to ask this noob question, The tweak tool won't load in the beta 2 release
with gnome 3.4 . any ideas how to get this going?

It'll get sorted anyway I suppose but i want to get my themes and stuff working if possible.

cariboo907
March 30th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Sorry i have to ask this noob question, The tweak tool won't load in the beta 2 release
with gnome 3.4 . any ideas how to get this going?

It'll get sorted anyway I suppose but i want to get my themes and stuff working if possible.

Check here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11803682&postcount=5) for a solution