PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't get into 3D after update?

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not positive about this, but I notice that I have no compiz options in Ubuntu Tweak, and that my dash button is solid; and that I've lost some general functionality related to compiz.

Is there a way to force 3D?

Edit: Ok. I'm definitely not able to get into 3d. Something got mucked up.

rtalcott
March 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Same here but 2d is fine...however this is on an AMD board...my Intel laptop is fine.
rt

ratcheer
March 27th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I couldn't go into 3D when I had the fglrx 12.2 driver in Precise (it worked fine in Oneiric), no matter what I tried. I finally got back to 3D when they put a newer driver in the repo a few days ago (12.3 or 12.4, whatever it is).

Tim

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
This is on an Intel Board. I'm trying to file a bug report but keep getting an unspecified error from launchpad. Frustrating.

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 08:27 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/966504

Got it. The mistake was on launchpad's part. Apparently, it didn't like something about the tags that were applied but ubuntu-bug.

Edit: I've also got a second USB mouse that's acting up - like my first one. This makes me think there's a kernel or video driver conflict somewhere.

mc4man
March 27th, 2012, 08:42 PM
It may be related to this (the error seen her when trying to get compiz to restart
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compizconfig-backend-gconf/+bug/932125

Kinda surprising that they released all these glib, gtk3, compiz, gtk2 packages today

Got 3d back here by reverting all of the above, not sure yet where the offending was exactly

rtalcott
March 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I did some updates and tried again...I can get in but it's slow...maybe a minute before it moves from the login screen.
rt

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 08:49 PM
It may be related to this (the error seen her when trying to get compiz to restart
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compizconfig-backend-gconf/+bug/932125

Kinda surprising that they released all these glib, gtk3, compiz, gtk2 packages today

Got 3d back here by reverting all of the above, not sure yet where the offending was exactly

Can you explain how you reverted those - using Synaptic? That's not something I've done before.

mc4man
March 27th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Can you explain how you reverted those - using Synaptic? That's not something I've done before.
There may not be any need to - give me a few
On my other install trying to break -
Do you have the proposed repo enabled?

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
There may not be any need to - give me a few
On my other install trying to break -
Do you have the proposed repo enabled?

No, I've been playing it fairly straight.

Edit: The latest series of updates to Ubuntu Beta (as of April 2012) appear to have solved this issue. Marking the thread solved.

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I did some updates and tried again...I can get in but it's slow...maybe a minute before it moves from the login screen.
rt

I noticed that compiz updated this morning. I just upgraded again, right before writing this, but still can't load 3D.

Rats.

mc4man
March 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Not sure what happened - definitely lost 3d this morning after updating, though on that install was using proposed.

On my straight up install just went ahead & updated all (no proposed), all was fine.
Added proposed & updated all - no problems

Went back to the other install where I'd downgraded & updated all inc. proposed, now it's fine??

The only other thing I did on the previously borked install was when it sent me to 2d I ran compiz --replace a couple of times (caused the crash I linked) & ran unity --replace once

So maybe try

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Interesting, just tried compiz --replace (why didn't I think of that?) and got the following error:

compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in GLib::Source:: prepare_vfunc()

mc4man
March 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Interesting, just tried compiz --replace (why didn't I think of that?) and got the following error:

compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in GLib::Source:: prepare_vfunc()

That was the error I was seeing, maybe try a unity --relace, then restart & try an ubuntu (3d) login again

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
That was the error I was seeing, maybe try a unity --relace, then restart & try an ubuntu (3d) login again

Yeah... none of it is working for me. If you could visit the bug report and add a note, that might get someone's attention. In the meantime, I'll keep fiddling with this.

WorLord
March 27th, 2012, 09:55 PM
There's already a bug filed with a ton of heat on it.

The fix is committed, but hasn't yet been built.

I installed packages from the "unity-staging" repo, and that fixed the issue, so the very next time compiz/unity/nux is released to the actual repos, the issue will be resolved.

VTPoet
March 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM
There's already a bug filed with a ton of heat on it.

The fix is committed, but hasn't yet been built.

I installed packages from the "unity-staging" repo, and that fixed the issue, so the very next time compiz/unity/nux is released to the actual repos, the issue will be resolved.

Can you give a link to the bug? I can mark mine as a duplicate that way. Right now I'm trying out the Cairo Session. They've made some nice changes.