PDA

View Full Version : Desktop glitch after Gnome Shell restart

sgage
March 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I am experiencing the following buglet in Gnome Shell. I believe it first showed up in 3.3.92, but it still exists in 3.4.0:

After restarting the shell (Alt-F2, r) the desktop display of the wallpaper is glitched. It's as though a copy of the wallpaper is being displayed down and to the right, and is superimposed on the normal, proper presentation of the wallpaper.

I tried to look this up on launchpad, but I seem to have bad luck finding pre-existing bugs there. Does anyone else experience this?

Gregory Lee
March 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Yes, I got that, too, starting yesterday afternoon. I gave up and used Unity for a while. But after updating a short while ago and doing a cold reboot, I'm up again in Gnome Shell 3, and everything looks okay again.

(I did have a problem getting the computer shut down, though. I had to use the power button.)

sgage
March 27th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Yes, I got that, too, starting yesterday afternoon. I gave up and used Unity for a while. But after updating a short while ago and doing a cold reboot, I'm up again in Gnome Shell 3, and everything looks okay again.

(I did have a problem getting the computer shut down, though. I had to use the power button.)

I installed an extension that puts a "Restart Shell" in your user menu, and it reloads the shell without incident. "gnome-shell --replace" works fine. But if you restart via alt-F2/r, the glitch occurs.

Oh well!

sgage
March 29th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I installed an extension that puts a "Restart Shell" in your user menu, and it reloads the shell without incident. "gnome-shell --replace" works fine. But if you restart via alt-F2/r, the glitch occurs.

Oh well!

No, the glitch is still there for me. All updated. Even using the aforementioned extension, the glitch still occurs. Oh well, just have to wait...

lyka
March 29th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Is it something like this?

If so i'm experiencing the same problem..

Flywaver
March 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Same here....glitch appears of I restart shell with ALT-F2 r

sgage
March 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Is it something like this?

If so i'm experiencing the same problem..

Sort of... mine is more like this:

macstevejb
March 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yes I can confirm...I'm getting exactly the same

regards,

Steve

xzy3186
April 6th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I am experiencing the following buglet in Gnome Shell. I believe it first showed up in 3.3.92, but it still exists in 3.4.0:

After restarting the shell (Alt-F2, r) the desktop display of the wallpaper is glitched. It's as though a copy of the wallpaper is being displayed down and to the right, and is superimposed on the normal, proper presentation of the wallpaper.

I tried to look this up on launchpad, but I seem to have bad luck finding pre-existing bugs there. Does anyone else experience this?

Still exist. I suffered this bug after upgrading to gnome-shell 3.4 in both archlinux and ubuntu

creosote
April 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have the same issue.

Fully updated 12.04 beta 2, Gnome-shell 3.4,Intel 945 GM

If i use Advanced settings and turn off "Have file manager handle the desktop", problem disappears.

sgage
April 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have the same issue.

Fully updated 12.04 beta 2, Gnome-shell 3.4,Intel 945 GM

If i use Advanced settings and turn off "Have file manager handle the desktop", problem disappears.

You're right. Some interaction between GS and nautilus I guess.