PDA

View Full Version : no results in dash "Applications" or "Home" tabs

montini
March 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
After installing some recent updates, unity dash doesn't find any applications when typing something into search field. It only shows the results from "Videos" and "Music", but no Application results. Also, initialy, after opening the dash, there are no "recently used" icons in the dash "Home" tab, nor in the "Applications" tab.

How could that be fixed? The only way to start the application now is through [Alt]+[F2].

montini
March 28th, 2012, 06:39 AM
anyone?

stinkeye
March 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
If you can log in as another user and it works,
try removing unity related folders from ~/.cache

montini
March 28th, 2012, 04:08 PM
You were right, when logged in as guest, the problem disappears, but when I tried to "rm -rf unity*" (under normal user account) it didn't help - I still get only Video and Music results - and in the ".cache/" folder the "unity-lens-video" folder reappears. Maybe there is another place where I should purge the chache?

cariboo907
March 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Have you tried:

unity --reset

either in a terminal, or in a console.

montini
March 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I did, with no luck.

Elfy
March 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Same here.

Login as guest - no results

Delete unity folders - no results

unity --reset - no results

montini
March 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
for me, logging in as guest means the problem's not there, i.e. it works correctly there.
I assume erasing all the hidden folders under "~/" would help, but wouldn't want to loose all the settings.

montini
March 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
found the solution: you should erase the zeitgeist databases. Of course, you lose the activity information, but at least it works from that point on.

so, the command should be (insert via terminal):

cd ~/.local/share/
sudo rm -rf zeitgeist

That's it.

Elfy
March 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'll remove it now via xubuntu and see what it's like next time I boot - thanks montini.

Elfy
March 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
No change - at some point I'll reinstall.

Thankfully I don't use Ubuntu - this is the sort of thing that would drive me up the wall :p

kruykaze
April 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Not sure why this is marked as solved. But I tried all the suggestions here and I still ahve this problem.
Any input? Thanks.
Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 64bit.

vinay_wagh
April 24th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Can admin or the poster remove the [SOLVED] tag... There are many users still having the problem unsolved.

I tried all the solutions mentioned above with in fact system restart... No effect so far.

-- VInay

vinay_wagh
April 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Going through the logs I figured out that the current installed version (dash-0.5.7-2ubuntu2) has this problem. So how I roll back to the old version of dash? It seems the dash-0.5.7-2ubuntu1 didnt have any problem. I am not able to see old version(s) in properties tab in synaptic.

-- VInay

montini
April 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM
has everyone tried the solution which helped me?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11800328&postcount=9

vinay_wagh
April 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I have already tried that... Didnt help me... In fact I forgot to mention for, I am not getting applications tab in dash even under the guest login!

- VInay

montini
April 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I have already tried that... Didnt help me... In fact I forgot to mention for, I am not getting applications tab in dash even under the guest login!

- VInay

Well, I don't know, maybe You have a different problem then - as in my case guest account didn't show the symptoms - it was OK there. Should I remove [SOLVED] tag anyway?

vinay_wagh
April 24th, 2012, 08:03 AM
@montini:
what is your system and which version of dash are you using?

I have ubuntu 12.04 with all latest updates and dash 0.5.7-2ubuntu2. As mentioned earlier, I noticed that after upgrade from dash 0.5.7-2ubuntu1 to dash 0.5.7-2ubuntu2, the problem started.

So one possible solution I can think of is to roll back to older version of dash. However, I can see that version in synaptic properties tab. So somebody pls tell me how to do that.

-- VInay

montini
April 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I'm sorry - I don't remember the version - but I am using the latest precise (12.04) build with updates till today.

montini
April 24th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Oh and BTW - did you try to
sudo apt-get remove --purge zeitgeist & sudo apt-get install zeitgeist?

vinay_wagh
April 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM
No luck...

-- VInay

montini
April 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
All right then - I removed the [SOLVED] tag.

larrypg
April 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
This might not have anything to do with it but just a thought...if you go to system settings,privacy is record activity turned on?

stinkeye
April 24th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I've seen similar issues resolved by deleting

~/.cache/software-center

vinay_wagh
April 26th, 2012, 05:14 AM
@larrypg:
I am not able to find "privacy" under system settings.

@stinkeye
Deleting this directories didnt help.

I have already filed this as a bug in Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/987689).

-- VInay

stinkeye
April 26th, 2012, 05:35 AM
@larrypg:
I am not able to find "privacy" under system settings.

You should have a privacy setting in System Settings provided by
activity-log-manager-control-center

See pic for my zeitgeist related packages.

vinay_wagh
April 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I dont have this package installed...

-- VInay

vinay_wagh
April 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I removed (with --purge) and (re)installed the two packages: unity-lens-applications and unity-lens-music (with related packages). Then the application and music tabs were restored after the system reboot (logoff is sufficient).

Thus I feel that these two applications (and unity-lens-video) should have dependency with dash. Of course it depends on the individual's point of view. In any case this thing should at least be documented somewhere.

@ Others affected by this bug:
Can somebody confirm whether this solution works for you?

-- VInay