PDA

View Full Version : Remove Unity

sadjow
March 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Please remove the unity in the next version of ubuntu. Put something better. Please.

nothingspecial
March 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Paqman
March 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Ubuntu comes with a choice of several desktop environments, of which Unity is just one. Why reduce people's freedom to choose?

sadjow
March 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Many people I know do not like the unity, not should be the default environment for ubuntu.

TeamRocket1233c
March 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
You DO know that you can just do a minimal install of Ubuntu and then install whatever DE or WM you want on it, right?

craig10x
March 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
You have many choices after you install ubuntu....you can add gnome 3 shell, gnome 3 fallback, cairo dock session, even linux mint's Cinnamon desktop can be added...

But i'll bet you didn't even give unity a fair chance...i was like you...when i first tried unity i went into it with a "negative attitude" after reading various negative comments about it, so i didn't think i would like using it...

Then, about 2 weeks later, i decided to give it another chance....this time with an OPEN MIND and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE toward it...

Guess what? after about 2 weeks of using it i began to like it a lot and installed ubuntu 11.10 and have been using unity ever since (2 months ago) and now really LOVE using it...once you get use to the "flow" of it, it becomes like "second nature" and seems quite natural to use.. ;)

sadjow
March 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, I know. But today people want good things immediately. Friends of work gave up installing ubuntu because of unity. If ubuntu is for humans, then it would not be necessary to learn how to remove the default environment to put whatever you want. Today we need to be more immediate. If the unity were the best environment, but unfortunately it is not.

TeamRocket1233c
March 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
You have many choices after you install ubuntu....you can add gnome 3 shell, gnome 3 fallback, cairo dock session, even linux mint's Cinnamon desktop can be added...

But i'll bet you didn't even give unity a fair chance...i was like you...when i first tried unity i went into it with a "negative attitude" after reading various negative comments about it, so i didn't think i would like using it...

Then, about 2 weeks later, i decided to give it another chance....this time with an OPEN MIND and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE toward it...

Guess what? after about 2 weeks of using it i began to like it a lot and installed ubuntu 11.10 and have been using unity ever since (2 months ago) and now really LOVE using it...once you get use to the "flow" of it, it becomes like "second nature" and seems quite naturally to use.. ;)

I'm a little curious to try Unity, but TBH, I much prefer Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE, or Xfce. I like GNOME, but Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE, and Xfce are snappier and use less resources, plus Xfce's as close to GNOME 2 as you can get nowadays.

And there's a minimal install too. Plus Ubuntu Server's a blank canvas when it comes to DE's or WM's as it comes with neither by default. I installed Fluxbox as the WM on a Ubuntu Server at school yesterday.

Simian Man
March 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Here you go. (http://www.kubuntu.org/) This should really be the default - it's far better.

Version Dependency
March 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM
If the unity were the best environment, but unfortunately it is not.

Not for you but it's the best for me. I never liked the old Gnome 2 desktop (always installed openbox instead) but I think Unity is fantastic. Of course, whatever desktop Ubuntu chooses to ship by default is not the only one you have to choose from. You want the the old Gnome 2 style desktop...you can install a Gnome Classic session from the Software Center in the upcoming 12.04 LTS (Gnome Classic in Ubuntu 12.04: It's Like Nothing Ever Changed (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/)). It takes maybe a minute to download. So stop the unnecessary whining.

philinux
March 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Please remove the unity in the next version of ubuntu. Put something better. Please.

Unlikely event B.

Solved Example on Unlikely Event.

http://www.icoachmath.com/math_dictionary/Unlikely_Event.html

Basically its not going to happen.

craig10x
March 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
and you want to know something? i never cared for the old 2 panel with fan out menu that ubuntu use to have (even though i used it for quite some time)...which is why for a long time i went to linux mint since i preferred having just 1 panel with a slab style menu....

but ubuntu NOW with the top panel only and integrated global menu which gives back the extra screen "real estate" and the unity bar is MUCH MORE to my liking for a default then the old gnome2 set up on ubuntu was...

but again...you have other options and as philinux just said...unity will not be removed as the default desktop so just wishful thinking on your part...instead...explore your options...

but if you gave unity a try for a while with an open mind you might be surprised...
that would be my suggestion...otherwise consider other possibilities...

Paqman
March 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
If ubuntu is for humans, then it would not be necessary to learn how to remove the default environment to put whatever you want.

You don't have to remove anything:

Xubuntu comes with XFCE
Kubuntu comes with KDE
Lubuntu comes with LXDE

All of these are preinstalled environments, as soon as you boot up the LiveCd or USB, you're in. Just as simple as regular Ubuntu.

Next time before complaining take a moment to find out what's available.

SemiExpert
March 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Here you go. (http://www.kubuntu.org/) This should really be the default - it's far better.

KDE is definitely an acquired taste. I kan't live with KDE. I like the idea of kross-platform third party desktop that I could use with Windows or Linux, but in reality, most of the Linux programs that I use are GTK+, not QT. Then there's the fact that the KDE community is seeing less and less support as time goes on. Kubuntu lost its paid developer, third party KDE support for Firefox is going bye-bye and the Microsoft deal with Nokia has undermined paid QT development.

wolfen69
March 27th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, I know. But today people want good things immediately.

Believe it or not, some people think unity is good. Plus, asking for unity to be removed in the forums will do no good. We are all just regular users here. You need to take your plea elsewhere.

TeamRocket1233c
March 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Believe it or not, some people think unity is good. Plus, asking for unity to be removed in the forums will do no good. We are all just regular users here. You need to take your plea elsewhere.

You don't want Unity on your Ubuntu install, do a minimal install without Unity, install Ubuntu Server, or install Kubuntu, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu.

sffvba[e0rt
March 27th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Believe it or not, some people think unity is good.

Yup...

philinux
March 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Yup...

Not at first at all but now big +1.

Plenty of options too.

spynappels
March 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Believe it or not, some people think unity is good.

I love it, took 2 weeks and a very open mind (I started off hating it) but now I use it exclusively, even at work.

craig10x
March 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I love it, took 2 weeks and a very open mind (I started off hating it) but now I use it exclusively, even at work.

This what i always tell people..use it for two weeks with an OPEN MIND and see if you still hate it...same thing happened with me...as i previously mentioned,
first time i tried it i didn't like it because of the negative comments i read (from people who didn't give it a fair chance)...

Then i came back 2 weeks later, with a positive attitude and and open mind and within two weeks really loved it...

I think the problem is: many people RESIST ANY CHANGE...

zombifier25
March 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
To quote Remy from Ratatouille,

Change is nature, Dad.

coolime12345
March 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
The best they would do is add something in addition to Unity and Unity 2D to the default environments installed. Cinnamon would be a possibility when it becomes stable enough. Reminds the old desktop, is as flexible as Unity.

MG&TL
March 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM
The best they would do is add something in addition to Unity and Unity 2D to the default environments installed. Cinnamon would be a possibility when it becomes stable enough. Reminds the old desktop, is as flexible as Unity.

The Ubuntu people can't do that (I think), it would be tantamount to admitting Unity was a bad choice (which it's not, IMO), and also any linux mint people would have more excuses to laugh at us. Better through a PPA, methinks.

philinux
March 28th, 2012, 04:06 PM

For 12.04.

Gnome classic back (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29)

Unity 5.8 (http://iloveubuntu.net/unity-58-released-optimized-visuals-new-multimonitor-options-new-animations-and-more)

Coming soon MyUnity 4.0 (http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/681/myunity-4-0-customization-has-never-been-so-easy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ubuntumanual+%28Ubuntu+Manual +-+Ubuntu+for+human+beings%29)

Witch Lady
March 28th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Cannonical, thank you for Unity. It works the best for me. By default. Don't remove it.

Artificial Intelligence
March 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
cannonical, thank you for unity. It works the best for me. By default. Don't remove it.

+1

jrisreal
March 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I used Unity for about a month and liked it for the majority until I decided to start customizing. In these past few days, however, I've been trying different DE's...mainly KDE and XFCE. I tried installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to go back to Gnome 2, but it didnt play nice with my network interface. I liked KDE better than Unity, but TBH it wasn't much of an improvement. It was pretty buggy for me and the whole OS just looked clunky. Then I installed Xubuntu and loved it. It's almost exactly like Gnome 2 from the user's perspective...you may not even notice that you're using a different DE...except the OS works a bit faster and snappier. And that the colour blue is awesome and the colour brown is the colour of poo.

But yeah, down with Unity IMO...atleast don't make it default. Not that I would ever go back to it, but if it drags Ubuntu down as a whole, then Xubuntu will go down with it, and I don't want that to happen.

arvevans
November 16th, 2012, 02:47 AM
UNITY is great...on a 1.8 X 2.4 inch cell phone screen.
UNITY is good...on a 7 inch tablet screen.
UNITY is great...if all I do with the computer is reading email and browsing the web.
UNITY is great...for the grandkids to play with games on my computer.
UNITY is great...for impressing non-Linux users with big gaudy screen icons.
UNITY is great...as a screen saver application
UNITY is great...if all I do is access Google Cloud applications and do all my work in the cloud environment.

On my dual 22 inch monitor setup UNITY is not so great.
When using AutoCad for serious drafting work...UNITY is not so great.
UNITY is not so good with EagleCAD for schematic editing, generating PCB layoutrs, and exporting to G-code.
Unity just doesn't work well when running EMC^2 and driving my CNC milling machine.

I use 8 to 10 workspaces that are labeled with the tasks that I usually do from those screen views. Even Gnome does not allow me to have just the workspace-specific icons that I want on specific screens, but Unity doesn't even allow room for the many work specific icons.

Cannonical/Ubuntu really needs to fork the development stream so that there is Ubuntu for small screen devices and a different Ubuntu for large screen or multiple large screen users.

Gnome needs to quit playing follow-the-leader and continue development of Gnome-2 with input from users so it becomes the defacto standard of window managers. It would be fine if Gnome were to split their development stream so that they have Gnome-3 as a small screen aplication, and the other fork being Gnome-2 for serious large screen users.

Circumstances have forced me to move my serious work to a Debian system with Mate.

Gd'dy Mate

monkeybrain2012
November 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Many people (including me) actually like Unity. Why do the change resisters always assume they represent the majority?

It is not my default setup but I did try using Unity on a dual screen computer, it works great.

Aaron Christianson
November 20th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Remove it yourself. Simple as that.

coffeecat
November 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
The OP has not logged in since the day they started the thread nearly 8 months ago. I think we can let this one rest.

Thread closed.