PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cron runs script only when I am logged in

FreeD01
March 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Hello, I run server 10.04 LTS. I have created backup script and I want to run it as a cron job. Script works fine, I have added a line into /etc/crontab:

01 1 * * * root cd / && /home/username/script

Problem is cron runs the script only when I am logged in. When I am logged out it does not. I got this line in /var/log/cron.log after I have set the job for testing to 8:36 and then logged out.

Mar 27 08:36:01 ComputerName CRON[19576]: (root) CMD (cd / && /home/username/script)

I have tried to set cron by

sudo crontab -e

with the same result. I think problem is in the script as it seems from the log that cron attempts to run it. Script does not have "." in its name, I use full paths and I can run it from command line with no problem. Is there something about cron jobs what I have missed? The script is:

#!/bin/bash
#Set a backup directories:
bdir="/backup/"
ydir="/backup/year/"
wdir="/backup/week/"
#set day of the week
date=$(date '+%u')

echo "Backup script initiated: "$(date '+%c') >>${bdir}log 2>&1
if [ "$date" -eq "1" ];
then
sudo rm ${bdir}snap*.snap >>${bdir}log 2>&1
sudo tar cvpfz ${ydir}$(date '+week%V.%b.%y').tar.gz -g ${bdir}snap$(date '+%y').snap /srv/samba >>${bdir}log 2>&1
else sudo tar cvpfz ${wdir}$(date '+%u')$(date '+%a').tar.gz -g ${bdir}snap$(date '+%y').snap /srv/samba 2>>${bdir}log 2>&1
fi
echo "Backup script has finished: "$(date '+%c') >> ${bdir}log
echo >>${bdir}log
echo "__________________________________________________ ______________" >>${bdir}log
echo >>${bdir}log

Thanks for reply :-k

FreeD01
March 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Have you tried to power off, power on? I.T. POWER! :lolflag:

hawkmage
March 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Do you have an encrypted or auto-mounted home directory?

CharlesA
March 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Do you have an encrypted or auto-mounted home directory?
That would be my first guess.

Also, if you are running the script in a root crontab, you don't need to have sudo in the script.