PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't play mkv in precise

ubuntu27
March 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Hello guys. Are any of you able to play mvk files in Ubuntu Precise?

I get this error in Totem:

"An error ocurred.

Could not find GStreamer caps mapping for FFmpeg codec 'h264', and you are using an external libavcodec. This is most likely due to a packaging problem and/or libavcodec having been upgraded to a version that is not compatible with this version of gstreamer-ffmpeg. Make sure your gstreamer-ffmpeg and libavcodec packages come from the same source/repository."

It mentions libavcodec,
The libavcodec that I have installed is fromt the standard universe repository: libavcodec-extra-53, version 4:0.8.1ubuntu1

I see that there is another one called "libavcodec53". What is the difference between libavcodec53 and libavcodec-extra-53 ? Ubuntu-restricted-extras seems to install the latter.

I tried to use both libavcodec53 and libavcodec-extra-53. None works.

gstreamer-ffmpeg dosn't seem to exist in the repository.

EDIT: I cannot play it with Totem, but I can play it with VLC.

teh603
March 27th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Might be in Medibuntu.

ubuntu27
March 27th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Might be in Medibuntu.

I added medibuntu, but gstreamer-ffmpeg is not there [yet?].

Well, I will mark this thread as solved for now since I was able to play the file using VLC.
But, I am worried that Ubuntu's default media player cannot play this format.

Is this a bug or simply Totem's limitation?
Could there be a solution?

alphacrucis2
March 27th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Does vlc play them?

Gregory Lee
March 27th, 2012, 03:55 AM
The one file that I can locate on my system with a ".mkv" suffix plays okay with totem, vlc, and banshee.

As I recall, mkv is not a codec, but a wrapper format that can contain encoded videos of various sorts, so whatever the error is, it doesn't necessarily have to do with a missing codec.

VMC
March 27th, 2012, 04:12 AM
The one file that I can locate on my system with a ".mkv" suffix plays okay with totem, vlc, and banshee.

As I recall, mkv is not a codec, but a wrapper format that can contain encoded videos of various sorts, so whatever the error is, it doesn't necessarily have to do with a missing codec.

Your right. I use handbrake and the H.264 for the video encoding. I tried VP3 just to see what its all about, but it compresses too much. I prefer H.264.

VLC plays anything I through at it so far.

ubuntu27
March 27th, 2012, 05:32 AM
The file that I tried to play seems to be a H.264 inside mkv.

Starks
March 27th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Try mplayer2 with smplayer in the repos.