PDA

View Full Version : HUD items

miwinning
March 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I have been playing about with the HUD but am not finding it to be to usefull because of the items that appear in it that are totaly irrelavant to the application I am trying to use.

For examples in GEdit typing 'open' in the HUD I would of expected File > Open to be top of the list but instead get this:

View > Highlight Mode > Sources > OpenCL
View > Highlight Mode > Sources > OpenGL Shading Language
Network > More Networks > BTOpenzone
File > Open

The first 2 not really what I am looking for, the third not even close to what I want, and the one that is probable going to be the one I want is 4th. This is just with something simple like GEdit. It just gets worse with more complicated apps. I hope the HUD does get to be a little more clever about what it shows, because I can see it being something I will find usfull, but its just not working for me now.

jasonsmith01
March 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Ya, as a new user I must agree, I'm not quite getting it. In Rhythmbox I tried to search for a song like in this video LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WW-DHqR3c&feature=player_embedded) but didn't work. I tried to make a bookmark in Chromium and that didn't work either. I got 5 identical lines all stating View > Show Bookmarks Bar.

Is there a trick to this or is it only on supported programs.

cariboo907
March 27th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Ya, as a new user I must agree, I'm not quite getting it. In Rhythmbox I tried to search for a song like in this video LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WW-DHqR3c&feature=player_embedded) but didn't work. I tried to make a bookmark in Chromium and that didn't work either. I got 5 identical lines all stating View > Show Bookmarks Bar.

Is there a trick to this or is it only on supported programs.

HUD is not a search engine, it won't go out and find something on the internet.

3rdalbum
March 27th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I have been playing about with the HUD but am not finding it to be to usefull because of the items that appear in it that are totaly irrelavant to the application I am trying to use.

For examples in GEdit typing 'open' in the HUD I would of expected File > Open to be top of the list but instead get this:

View > Highlight Mode > Sources > OpenCL
View > Highlight Mode > Sources > OpenGL Shading Language
Network > More Networks > BTOpenzone
File > Open

The first 2 not really what I am looking for, the third not even close to what I want, and the one that is probable going to be the one I want is 4th. This is just with something simple like GEdit. It just gets worse with more complicated apps. I hope the HUD does get to be a little more clever about what it shows, because I can see it being something I will find usfull, but its just not working for me now.

File > Open is at the top of the list for me. It may sort itself based on which items have been selected recently, then by local menus and then indicators.

jasonsmith01
March 27th, 2012, 05:57 AM
HUD is not a search engine, it won't go out and find something on the internet.

I never asked it to. I asked it to bookmark something for me and to find a song that was already on my drive.

grahammechanical
March 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Think of HUD as a kind of activities monitor. It has to learn from us as we use the machine. Not all applications work with the HUD.

I, personally do not find a use for the HUD. I imagine that it might be useful on a tablet PC without a keyboard but an on-screen keyboard instead. Navigating a structured menu must be very difficult on a tablet without a keyboard. I do not know because I do not have a tablet PC. But this is where I see the usefulness of HUD.

The Dash is closer to a search engine.

We should not expect the HUD to do what an application does. It is a way of getting to the application's menu without going through the drop-down menus of the application or using a keyboard shortcut. But first we have to show HUD the way to the application menu that we are looking for.

Regards.

miwinning
March 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
It does seem to be learning what I am wanting to do. The File > Open in GEdit has now moved up to second in the list. Looks like I just need to keep on using it for a while until it starts giving me what I want.

jasonsmith01
March 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
We should not expect the HUD to do what an application does. It is a way of getting to the application's menu without going through the drop-down menus of the application or using a keyboard shortcut. But first we have to show HUD the way to the application menu that we are looking for.

Thanks for that. That actually helped quite as bit as I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a menu item to make bookmarks in Chromium, hence why HUD wasn't giving me the option.

One other thing. Should I be able to move down the list that HUD generates? When I try to via the down arrow it won't allow me and springs back the first suggestion. If I hit the arrow key really fast it will make it to the third row or so but just immediately springs back again.