PDA

View Full Version : like Windows or Mac?

ION4S
March 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hello
Is Ubuntu like Mac or Windows??
I have worked a long time with Windows7, but now i will try Ubuntu!!
8-)

zombifier25
March 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Ubuntu is like Mac more than Windows, however keep in mind that [b]they're different operating systems[b], so they will differ greatly from each other. Don't worry, learning the basics is neither hard nor time consuming. There are lots of free ebooks on the web about learning Ubuntu.
Note: If you want a Windows-like experience, I recommend you try Kubuntu first.

jerome1232
March 24th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hello
8-)

Ubuntu is like neither, Ubuntu will have more in common with OS X than with Windows. Both OS X and Linux are both indirectly derived from Unix, and are both Posix compliant, Ubuntu mostly and OS X fully.

OrangeCrate
March 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hello
8-)

As already said, Linux is not Windows or OS X, and for many of us, that's a good thing.

It might be worth while to read this, before you decide to jump in and get your feet wet with a new operating system:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

If you can accept, that Linux is not a drop-in replacement for Windows or OS X, and you recognize, that there is a learning curve (steep for many) involved with anything new, you'll be fine.

Good luck.

:)

sffvba[e0rt
March 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Not a support question.

Frogs Hair
March 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM
The first link is a GTK 3 theme for 11.10 .http://palupix.blogspot.com/2012/01/macbuntu-1110-theme-for-ubuntu-1110-new.html

This link is for the Macbuntu operating system based on 11.04.http://www.oslike.se/macbuntu-iso/7-macbuntu-iso-1104

Mac wallpapers are easy to find with a search. I dual boot and have never tried to make Ubuntu look like windows. There are some Win 7 themes for Pre 11.10 versions of Ubuntu. Because Ubuntu doesn't work at all like Windows it is kind of pointless .

BrokenKingpin
March 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Ubuntu is like Mac more than Windows
I agree, but weirdly I can't stand using a mac, but I can sometimes use a Windows machine without wanting to throw it down some stairs.

I would say it really isn't like either. Sure, there are some interface similarities between some of these OSs, but for the most part Ubuntu (Linux) is very different (which is a good thing). Don't bother trying to compare them, just install Ubuntu and start playing around with it.

Thebuntuway
March 25th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Actually, ubuntu just like windows+Mac os X..if these two OS was combining together, it will turn to ubuntu. The lack of these os just limited games support and cannot compare like windows have. Mac OS X are more lookin in ubuntu 11.10..the last version of ubuntu are just like windows xp or something...anyway, i will name ubuntu as 'winmac'..hahaa..i hope these three company (microsoft, Apple, Linux) creat 3 in 1 os so it will be the most awesome os ever..and also i hope it open source...hehe..chears...:guitar:

zombifier25
March 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
If Wine manages to provide a native Windows experience, then your dream will be complete thebuntuway. (The Wine team is pretty close on it now)