PDA

View Full Version : Very strange apt error here... I'm kind of worried

effenberg0x0
March 24th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Weird stuff going on here. I just ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and it suddenly stopped in the middle of the upgrade. No questions asked. It just exited. No error message. Nothing in logs. Nothing.

Then I tried sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Resolving dependencies...
Unable to resolve dependencies for the upgrade: no solution found.
Unable to safely resolve dependencies, try running with --full-resolver

It sounds a little newbie'ish, I know. And fixing it is likely easy. I'll clear the cache, probably accept one of aptitude's proposed solutions, etc.

I'm just a little scared because it has never happened to me. And we have Beta 2 tomorrow! If it's a new problem, I really wish it had happened previously, not now...

Anyone saw anything similar? I can't find any clue / way to understand what failed, method for reproducing this behavior.

Regards,
Effenberg

effenberg0x0
March 24th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Weird stuff going on here. I just ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and it suddenly stopped in the middle of the upgrade. No questions asked. It just exited. No error message. Nothing in logs. Nothing.

Then I tried sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

It sounds a little newbie'ish, I know. And fixing it is likely easy. I'll clear the cache, probably accept one of aptitude's proposed solutions, etc.

I'm just a little scared because it has never happened to me. And we have Beta 2 tomorrow! If it's a new problem, I really wish it had happened previously, not now...

Anyone saw anything similar? I can't find any clue / way to understand what failed, method for reproducing this behavior.

Regards,
Effenberg

Solution:
- Removed libtelepathy-farstream1{u}
- Cleared the cache
- Re-ran apt update/upgrade - it went through this time
- 0 Kept Back, All Updated.

What caused apt error:
- No idea.

Regards,
Effenberg

cariboo907
March 24th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I've seen that message a couple of times during this release, I usually just wait an hour or so, and the missing dependencies show up.

xebian
March 24th, 2012, 05:07 AM
And we have Beta 2 tomorrow! ....[/COLOR]

Regards,
Effenberg

Beta 2 tomorrow??? IIRIC it's on the 29th?

effenberg0x0
March 24th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Beta 2 tomorrow??? IIRIC it's on the 29th?

Yeah, you're right, sorry. I'm confusing the internal schedule/activities with the public schedule. Yesterday was Beta Freeze. Tomorrow to the 27th is a testing sprint. 29th is B2 release.

EDIT: I'll post a thread here tomorrow about it. It's a Step-by-Step for people that never tested a Development Release, so they can help in this last sprint. Working on it right now - which is why my mind is confused.

Regards,
EFfenberg0x0

ventrical
March 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah, you're right, sorry. I'm confusing the internal schedule/activities with the public schedule. Yesterday was Beta Freeze. Tomorrow to the 27th is a testing sprint. 29th is B2 release.

EDIT: I'll post a thread here tomorrow about it. It's a Step-by-Step for people that never tested a Development Release, so they can help in this last sprint. Working on it right now - which is why my mind is confused.

Regards,
EFfenberg0x0

Nice work btw :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/iso-testing

effenberg0x0
March 24th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Nice work btw :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/iso-testing

Thanks :) It's totally under development thou. Also, it's just a temporary resource while we invite people to test. After the sprint, I'll leave it to you to decide if/where/how to use it in the Wiki :)

Regards,
Effenberg

dino99
March 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Solution:
- Removed libtelepathy-farstream1{u}
- Cleared the cache
- Re-ran apt update/upgrade - it went through this time
- 0 Kept Back, All Updated.

What caused apt error:
- No idea.

Regards,
Effenberg

my 2 cents:
- mixing apt-get & aptitude on the same system is not recommended: they both built their index differently, not sure they are able to fully communicate all the time.
- possible xapian borked index