PDA

View Full Version : [photography] image viewer with multi-folder view?

kurja
March 22nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
I've used Picasa for a long time now and what I really like about it is how you can see all of your photos "at once"; just scroll the thumbnail view up and down to move to more recent and older photos, no need to click your way from one folder to another.

But I'd rather use a native program in Ubuntu. Only I can't seem to find one with a browsing view like in Picasa! I've tried a few, Gwenview, gThumb image viewer and some others, but no.

Is there such a program?

ajgreeny
March 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
F-spot will do that, as will digikam, I think, though in digikam you have to make sure the "root" folder for the importing of pictures contains every possible folder with pictures in it, so it may need to be your home folder, not Pictures.

In f-spot you have to manually import pictures first from a folder you choose, which can be anywhere on your mounted file system. The photos are then displayed by default in a time-line manner.

F-spot is no longer the default picture manager in ubuntu, shotwell having taken over that place, but I can not comment on shotwell as I have not really used it.

kurja
March 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
thanks, didn't even think of the default shotwell.

it's importing photos so slow though... with tens of thousands of pictures, this is going to take all day. and some of tomorrow.

kurja
March 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Actually, I can't scroll the thumbnails like I want to in shotwell. I only get to see photos from a certain date, and if I want to see newer/older pictures, I have to select them from the tree, can't just scroll the thumbnails up/down.

Will try others...

ajgreeny
March 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
thanks, didn't even think of the default shotwell.

it's importing photos so slow though... with tens of thousands of pictures, this is going to take all day. and some of tomorrow.
I gave up on shotwell for the same reason, and I just didn't like it. F-spot is not fast, but still nowhere near as slow as shotwell. For most things I use gthumb still, as it is so fast and simple to use as a picture manager/viewer.

I have always used my own folder hierarchy for my photos, rather than importing with a photo manager, so I have a sub-folder in Pictures called family, another holidays, etc etc, and sub-folders within those. It all makes sense to me and I can navigate to pictures that way using my file manager as well as a photo manager.

A lot of users dislike f-spot as it needs mono, which many free software purists hate with a vengeance; it does not bother me!

23dornot23d
March 23rd, 2012, 12:20 AM
Its sad really .... over 40,000 photos ... the linux apps seem to to not handle the numbers
well at all .....

I use this but it runs under wine ... is fast though http://www.fxfoto.com/fxdownload.htm

Its free to use and handles the photos quickly ....

There is a fotoxx in the repos ..... but this too does not seem to handle large amounts
of photos ....

Have also tried Digikam shotwell and F-spot ..... no luck ....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8605/edit15.jpg

The latest gthumb is quick ...... need to spend some more time seeing how it will create a album though ......

Dragonbite
March 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Actually, I can't scroll the thumbnails like I want to in shotwell. I only get to see photos from a certain date, and if I want to see newer/older pictures, I have to select them from the tree, can't just scroll the thumbnails up/down.

Will try others...

If you click on the "Photo" entry at the top of the Events side panel in Shotwell you get all of the pictures in Shotwell in one continuous list.

Unlike Picasa, there is no way to know when one Event ends and another begins.

cherideng
March 23rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Its sad really .... over 40,000 photos ... the linux apps seem to to not handle the numbers
well at all .....

I use this but it runs under wine ... is fast though http://www.fxfoto.com/fxdownload.htm

Its free to use and handles the photos quickly ....

There is a fotoxx in the repos ..... but this too does not seem to handle large amounts
of photos ....

Have also tried Digikam shotwell and F-spot ..... no luck ....

The latest gthumb is quick ...... need to spend some more time seeing how it will create a album though ......

kurja
March 23rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
If you click on the "Photo" entry at the top of the Events side panel in Shotwell you get all of the pictures in Shotwell in one continuous list.

Unlike Picasa, there is no way to know when one Event ends and another begins.

Ah, that's true, it is possible to view all photos in one list. Sadly Picasa still seems better than that (for me).

Have you guys updated Picasa to it's latest version in Ubuntu? Like so: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-picasa-39-in-linux-and-fix.html Just wondering. I'm running the 3.0 beta in Precise beta. Sounds crazy, actually, to run a beta program in beta os!)