PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless Connection difficulties-Intel 1000 BGN wireless adapter

brainglitch
March 19th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I will start this off by stating that I am completely new to Ubuntu and Linux, so please be patient with me if I seem confused at times about this question!

I just downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu. I am trying to connect to the internet on my wireless router at home and am unable to turn the wireless connectivity on. I believe that I need a specific device driver for my integrated wireless card but am not sure what to use or how to put it in.

My laptop is a Lenovo V570, and the wireless adapter is an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN.

I saw what looked like a device driver for this adapter here:http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads, but I am not sure how to install it correctly.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much to anybody who replies to this thread!

raja.genupula
March 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM
have you download that ?
give us contents of that file , i mean what kind of file it is and what it have in it . then we can help you on how to install .

brainglitch
March 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM
OK.....I was very unclear last time. Again, I am a complete beginner at this!

I actually have the driver installed. When I run :

sudo lshw -C network

I get this (I cut some out to save space):

*-network DISABLED

capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlagn driverversion=3.0.0-12-gneric firmware=39.31.5.1 build 35138 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

So,, the driver is already there. However, the network is disabled. When I try to turn it on in the Network part of Settings, I slide the little bar from Off to On. It immediately slides back to off. I know it sounds dumb, but I am at a loss to explain why it happens.

When I run sudo iwconfig, I get:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:on

With sudo iwlist scan,
o Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down,

Now, I know that the network is not down, because when I boot up in Windows 7 I have no problem connecting at all.

Any ideas? Perhaps there is a way to connect manually through Terminal???

Thanks in advance!

brainglitch
March 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM
BTW, just FYI for anyone who is looking at this: I went into System Settings and clicked on Additional Drivers. According to that, I don't have any proprietary drivers. So.....I'm pretty sure I have the right driver, now I have to figure out how to enable the wireless.

And yes, the little switch for WiFi is turned on....:)

brainglitch
March 20th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Any ideas anyone? How can I get the WiFi up and running on Ubuntu? It sees the wireless card and the driver, I just can't turn it on. Thanks!