PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dropbox/Samba issues

marineco
March 19th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I installed Dropbox using this tutorial (http://ubuntuservergui.com/ubuntu-server-guide/install-dropbox-ubuntu-server) on my new server. We have been using dropbox as a backup system for some time now on our regular PCs. Now that I have set up a server, I want to access our files from it, instead of pulling from the oldest PC on my network, which is the only one I could get everything else to see. Plus the server has a faster connection.
But I can't get my Samba to be willing to share that particular folder nicely. (/home/myname/dropbox)
I also tried to install Dropbox to one of my shares that does work, but for some reason I couldn't make that work either.
Ideas?

Jest3r
March 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Hello,

This problem might be caused by the fact that by default the Dropbox directory permissions are setup so that only the user that installed dropbox is able to access the files and directories.

You can fix this a number of ways, either change the dropbox directory so that everyone has access to it.

$ chmod 777 /home/myname/dropbox

Or

change your samba configuration ( /etc/samba/smb.conf ) to force everyone connecting to samba use the myname account

[dropbox]
comment = dropbox share
read only = no
locking = yes
path = /home/myname/Dropbox
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
force user = myname