PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Something Strange ???

bipolaric
March 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) the other week, and after install it naturally updated. Now, just out of curiosity, I happened to click 'About Ubuntu' in the 'System' menu and it says that I am actually running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), but I 'Didn't' upgrade the OS.

I'm not complaining, it's just a bit strange. Does Ubuntu do this automatically ? And has anyone else had the same experience.

Very, Very Very, Very ..... Very, Very Strange.

Mark :)

sammiev
March 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) the other week, and after install it naturally updated. Now, just out of curiosity, I happened to click 'About Ubuntu' in the 'System' menu and it says that I am actually running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), but I 'Didn't' upgrade the OS.

I'm not complaining, it's just a bit strange. Does Ubuntu do this automatically ? And has anyone else had the same experience.

Very, Very Very, Very ..... Very, Very Strange.

Take a few screen shots and post them here so we can view please.

bipolaric
March 17th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Here It Is .....

ixtok
March 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Hi,

)

Sometimes you have to pay close attention to updates. There is a setting which if on will check for upgrades to newest version, and will ask if you want to upgrade. Perhaps you were not paying attention and upgrade was selected.

sammiev
March 18th, 2012, 01:26 AM
It's only one screen shot but it does look like 11.04.

What are your choices in the login screen?

wojox
March 18th, 2012, 01:29 AM
What does this say in the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T)

cat /etc/issue

bipolaric
March 18th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Ah, even more strange, I typed the above command in the Terminal, and got this:

Ubuntu 10.10 \n \l

weird, 'don't really know what's going on here lol.

wojox
March 18th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Ah, even more strange, I typed the above command in the Terminal, and got this:

Ubuntu 10.10 \n \l

weird, 'don't really know what's going on here lol.

You have 10.10 installed and running. What your seeing is an old bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/694558)