PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Windows 7 User folders empty

MittyG
March 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hi people,

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that recently encountered an error resulting in UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME BSOD in Windows 7, so I turned to xubuntu, booting it from a USB pen drive and using a non-persistent installation.

My aim was to recover all of the files from the broken hard drive and re-install windows from scratch so I used ddrescue to create an image of the damaged partition and upon mounting the image I can successfully browse the files in their original Windows structure.

However, when browsing the directory Users\[USERNAME]\Documents, I find an empty folder. This is made even more strange by the fact that I can successfully view the Users/[USERNAME]\Downloads folder, the contents of which are intact and have now been backed up.

I also used testdisk to browse the Users\[USERNAME]\Documents directory and it to, fails to find anything inside.

Can anyone help me out?

Mark Phelps
March 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM
No disrespect intended .. but this is NOT the Windows 7 forum; this is the Ubuntu forums.

Win7 filesystem uses soft links for LOTS of its directories -- which is why they appear to be empty.

Suggest you take the problem to a Win7 forum: sevenforums.com