PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu netbook

vibinkrish
March 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
What is the difference between ubuntu 10.04 alternate i386 and
ubuntu netbook i386 and ubuntu remix.........

Please help.

Karlchen
March 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hello, vibinkrish.

The string "i386" attached or to the name of a Ubuntu edition indicates that this is a 32-bit Ubuntu version.
The string "amd64" attached to the name of a Ubuntu edition indicates that this is a 64-bit Ubuntu version.

Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix:
This was a Ubuntu 10.04 version which came with a user interface which reminds a bit of the Unity interface that Ubuntu 11.10 uses. You might consider Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix a very early predecessor of Ubtuntu 11.10 designed specifically for small netbook monitors.
Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix was very short lived and discontinued for a while only to return as the official Ubuntu 11.10 1.5 years later.

For the rest, alternate vs. normal Ubuntu ISO, please, read this article: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS (Lucid Lynx) (http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/)

Kind regards,
Karl

3rdalbum
March 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
What is the difference between ubuntu 10.04 alternate i386 and
ubuntu netbook i386 and ubuntu remix.........

Please help.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix (actually, Ubuntu Netbook Edition) was a version of Ubuntu with a special small-screen GUI. You don't really need it.

The Alternate disc has a text-based installer that supports several advanced-user features such as fully-encrypted disks and installing to a RAID. You probably don't need the Alternate disc.

If you're new to Ubuntu, which I assume you are because this is your first post, you should download Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop CD. This is the latest version that contains a GUI that works quite well on both big and small screens. You can run Ubuntu from the CD, or install it to your hard disk.

If your computer has a 64-bit CPU, then you can download Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop CD (AMD64) - but the regular 32-bit (i386) version will work too.

Since you're a new user you should use the latest Ubuntu which is 11.10.

Ubuntu 10.04 is old.