PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players

ExSuSEusr
March 16th, 2012, 01:57 AM
What do you all use for an MP3 player?

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get my iPod Touch 2nd Gen to work in 10.04 and have tried everything from gtkpod to Banshee... nothing works... four hours wasted that I'll never get back... I will never NEVER buy another one of their proprietary "do it our way or not at all" products. So now that I have had my tantrum... I have decided to sell that proprietary piece of garbage and buy an MP3 player that I can actually use how I... yes I the OWNER wants.

I need something loud. I can't stand MP3 players that have a 20 dBA limit (yes I am exaggerating, but you know what I mean).... something that doesn't cost $220... that can handle getting wet and dropped on a gym floor. I don't care about all that extra crap like photos, games and bla bla... I have a Droid X for all that - and hey before you say it.... no I don't want to use the Droid - Motorola puts some type of decibel limits on their products... they are so quiet you can't hear jack if you're on a treadmill.

Anyway, any suggestions? Drag and drop. That's what I want. Plug it in a USB and move song files around.

Sorry, I needed to get that out... my hatred for Microsoft and Apple grows with each day. I swear it does.

3rdalbum
March 16th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Sony Walkman. They have a model that is just like a set of headphones. All their models since 2007 are drag and drop.

drawkcab
March 16th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Sansa Clip and Sansa Fuse. Demo them in a store to see if they meet your decibel needs.

wolfen69
March 16th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Most android phones work just fine. Those people hanging on to apple products are just banging their heads. There are many linux friendly mp3 players out there. Those that really want to use linux full time, make it happen.

Rodney9
March 16th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I use my Android phone, saves carrying more gadgets.

Rodney

aysiu
March 16th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Usually my Android phone (Galaxy Nexus). Sansa Clip, if I'm listening to music while running.

wolfen69
March 16th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Usually my Android phone (Galaxy Nexus). Sansa Clip, if I'm listening to music while running.

That says it all. If your gonna run stuff that's unfriendy to linux, expect issues.

Nightstrike2009
March 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Philips GoGear 4Gb/8Gb, simple drag & drop player no hassle and easy to use with Linux :-)

speedwell68
March 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I have a Sony Walkman NWZ-B152 2gb player. That is great it just plugs in like a USB memory stick. But TBH I use my HTC Desire S more as I can either drag n drop or copy files over wifi from a shared folder on my PC.

SemiExpert
March 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I have a Sony Walkman NWZ-B152 2gb player. That is great it just plugs in like a USB memory stick. But TBH I use my HTC Desire S more as I can either drag n drop or copy files over wifi from a shared folder on my PC.

It's not sold in the United States and I don't think it will be. Sony's disposable cigarette lighter shaped MP3 players probably still have a small market in Japan, but haven't been common in the United States in several generations.

nothingspecial
March 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

I use a sansa clip + btw

SemiExpert
March 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get my iPod Touch 2nd Gen to work in 10.04 and have tried everything from gtkpod to Banshee... nothing works... four hours wasted that I'll never get back... Apple can kiss my royal ***. I will never NEVER buy another one of their proprietary "do it our way or not at all" products. So now that I have had my tantrum... I have decided to sell that proprietary piece of garbage and buy an MP3 player that I can actually use how I... yes I the OWNER wants.

I need something loud. I can't stand MP3 players that have a 20 dBA limit (yes I am exaggerating, but you know what I mean).... something that doesn't cost $220... that can handle getting wet and dropped on a gym floor. I don't care about all that extra crap like photos, games and bla bla... I have a Droid X for all that - and hey before you say it.... no I don't want to use the Droid - Motorola puts some type of decibel limits on their products... they are so quiet you can't hear jack if you're on a treadmill.

Anyway, any suggestions? Drag and drop. That's what I want. Plug it in a USB and move song files around.

Sorry, I needed to get that out... my hatred for Microsoft and Apple grows with each day. I swear it does.

You're looking for USB MSC/UMS, or USB mass storage device class. Apple iOS devices aren't MSC/UMS, and while some older iPods support Rockbox, your Touch probably doesn't. You need iTunes to transfer content, and while there's iTunes support for OS X and Windows (except for Windows 8, so far), there's no iTunes support for Linux. What's the solution? Well, you can always use a USB MSC/UMS MP3 player, or one of the many Android smartphones, or you can dual boot, or virtualize Windows - Virtualbox is always your friend. If you're using a PC, you probably already have a Windows COA.

SemiExpert
March 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

I use a btw

Nice RockBox support, minimal investment.

Known unknownZ
March 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I used to use SanDisk's MP3 players all the time, then switched over to Apple's iPod Touch a couple of years ago.

After endless frustration with the Touch's many 'quirks' I ended up switching back. :v Like NS, I use a Clip now. Couldn't be happier with it.

Lightstar
March 17th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Android phone :)

I need to change it though, it's kinda old, starting to break.

speedwell68
March 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
It's not sold in the United States and I don't think it will be. Sony's disposable cigarette lighter shaped MP3 players probably still have a small market in Japan, but haven't been common in the United States in several generations.

That's ok I don't live in the United States, they are still widely available in the United Kingdom.

gutterslob
March 17th, 2012, 12:55 PM
My car stereo 90% of the time. As for portable, like others, I mostly use my Android phone (Gal Nexus). Oakley Thumps (sunglasses + mp3 player) when I'm out training on the pushbike.

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to get my iPod Touch 2nd Gen to work in 10.04 and have tried everything from gtkpod to Banshee... nothing works... four hours wasted that I'll never get back... I will never NEVER buy another one of their proprietary "do it our way or not at all" products.That's what I don't really get about Apple. If they don't want people messing with the file-system on the iDevices, they could at least create some sort of app that acted like a "middle-man". Eg: Start app and dedicate space to it (say 4GB), plug in iDevice and your computer sees a 4GB ext storage device, transfer files, unplug iDevice and let the app sort the files based on format or tags. Shouldn't be too hard for Apple to do, I assume. They go on and on about iOS being "PC Free" these days, but people really want it to be "iTunes Free" first and foremost.

no I don't want to use the Droid - Motorola puts some type of decibel limits on their products... they are so quiet you can't hear jack if you're on a treadmill. Before you plonk cash on a new player, you could try some apps like PowerAMP, Equalizer and Volume+. PowerAMP in particular has this preamp setting that has worked for some people. It's not free, but there's a tria version. If it ends up working you can then purchase the full version, which is definitely cheaper than a new mp3 player. Granted, phones aren't ideal for working out (risk of damage), but just thought I'd let you know. Also, have your tried googling something like "Droid X volume unlock"? Lastly, it could just be down to the included earbuds. Have you tried a different pair with your Droid X?

SemiExpert
March 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Here's a very interesting device: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-eSport-Clip-4GB-MP3-Video-Player-w-1.8-color-display-Built-in-5MP-Digital-Camera-FM-Radio-Voice-Recording-and-more/17480502 [url]http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/esport-clip-is-an-unbelievably-cheap-4gb-pmp-with-a-5mp-camera/ http://www.ematic.us/product_details.php?prodID=153

vanhenryjr
March 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I too am looking. Main thing is compatibility w ubuntu. I just ordered and got a cowon i10, but the cord to player connection did not work (the cord to computer was a nice firm fit). I am thinking about a sansa fuze+, but have also considered a sony. Like the OP I want something that will crank it up. I also wanted 32 GB, but will settle for 16 GB

Mikeb85
March 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM

A usb stick plugged into my car, or my HTC Amaze phone. I too had an iDevice, and even though I was able to get it to kind of work with Ubuntu, it still didn't play nice with the car stereo, and transferring files was a pain in the rear...