PDA

View Full Version : Warty Backports: End of the line

jdong
March 11th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Attention all backports users:

Warty is closed to backports requests as of now. Those requests already made will be evaluated and possibly processed.

Hoary is almost out now, and we still have a mess of packages in Staging. It would seem like the recent backports we've been making are more prone to bugginess -- especially with GAIM and GLib.

Those who are about to complain, remember that stopping development at the Preview Release was one of my original promises, and though I've broken a lot of promises already ("only 10 or so packages, <100MB" [SF.net project application]), I would like to preserve this one.

Thanks to the Ubuntu Community for all your support, and keep your eyes peeled for Hoary Backports!

------
John Dong Ubuntu Backports Project Leader

Rufius Ubuntu Backports i386 Developer

techn9ne
March 11th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks Jdong for all the work you put in.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 11:53 PM
This is really good news. I'm lucky as we speak im downloading hoary/testing Bittorrent 4 ;).

Good to see the Ubuntu devel. team is moving on, making sure we have an even better experience embracing upcoming Ubuntu projects.

Marquis_de_Carabas
March 12th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks for all your work making my Ubuntu experience just that bit smoother. I look forward to using the Hoary backports in due course :)

ember
March 12th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I can only repeat what others said - great work. I hope, I'll be able to contribute a bit to UBP when I have my diploma thesis finished.

panickedthumb
March 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
This is really good news. I'm lucky as we speak im downloading hoary/testing Bittorrent 4 ;).

Good to see the Ubuntu devel. team is moving on, making sure we have an even better experience embracing upcoming Ubuntu projects.
jdong isn't REALLY on the Ubuntu Dev team. Backports is completely unaffiliated with Ubuntu.

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 03:52 PM
jdong isn't REALLY on the Ubuntu Dev team. Backports is completely unaffiliated with Ubuntu.
that's what I was trying to express :P . Ubuntu/Backports, it's all good :-P.

dcstar
March 13th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Thanks Jdong for all the work you put in.

I second that.

panickedthumb
March 13th, 2005, 02:39 AM
So yeah, I hadn't chimed in on this yet, but great work in the past few months.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Hoary Backports-- I already have some requests ;)

Seandq
March 13th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Thank you jdong and all who made this project a delight for me until I upgraded to Hoary. Bravo.

-Sean

mark
March 13th, 2005, 03:14 AM
jdong, let me add my thanks for all of your hard work on the Backports project. It's people like you that further the cause of free and open software.

Mark

jdong
March 13th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks, everyone. The past few months have been a big learning experience for me. Ubuntu still remains my absolute favorite distro, and as long as I use Ubuntu, I need backports :)