PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth highlights server growth as Ubuntu overtakes RHEL on top websites

Dry Lips
March 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
"Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth wrote a blog post today pointing out that the popular Linux distribution has seen an increase in enterprise server adoption over the past year. He published a graph which indicates that Ubuntu deployments have surpassed those of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) among the top one million most popular websites."

Read more: http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/03/shuttleworth-highlights-server-growth-as-ubuntu-overtakes-rhel-on-top-websites.ars

JDShu
March 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I really wish he would shut up sometimes.

He compares Ubuntu to RHEL when Ubuntu is free. When somebody points to CentOS he says you have to aggregate Ubuntu, Debian to compare to Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. It depends on what arbitrary things you are comparing.

Meanwhile it's been 7 years and Canonical still isn't profitable.

CharlesA
March 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'd rather use Redhat in an enterprise than Ubuntu, but that's just me.

sffvba[e0rt
March 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I really wish he would shut up sometimes.

Isn't that just the most awesome part of the Internet, they will let just about anyone have a personal blog to say what they want. Crazy.

JDShu
March 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Isn't that just the most awesome part of the Internet, they will let just about anyone have a personal blog to say what they want. Crazy.

They also have forums where people can say what they want too ;)

Dry Lips
March 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM
He compares Ubuntu to RHEL when Ubuntu is free. When somebody points to CentOS he says you have to aggregate Ubuntu, Debian to compare to Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. It depends on what arbitrary things you are comparing.

Meanwhile it's been 7 years and Canonical still isn't profitable.

Perhaps you have a point, BUT it is nevertheless quite interesting to notice the trends. Check out the graph: http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2012/03/not_a_catchy_headline/

BeRoot ReBoot
March 15th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Perhaps you have a point, BUT it is nevertheless quite interesting to notice the trends. Check out the graph: http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2012/03/not_a_catchy_headline/ (http://upsilon.cc/%7Ezack/blog/posts/2012/03/not_a_catchy_headline/)

Ye Gods, a significant portion of the internet runs on Gentoo? :shock:

Dry Lips
March 15th, 2012, 11:19 PM

If you read the comments to the article quoted above, you'll see that it is claimed that for instance NASDAQ is using Gentoo. But apparently only 0.4 percent of the top one million websites run on Gentoo.

alexfish
March 15th, 2012, 11:36 PM
"Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth wrote a blog post today pointing out that the popular Linux distribution has seen an increase in enterprise server adoption over the past year. He published a graph which indicates that Ubuntu deployments have surpassed those of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) among the top one million most popular websites."

Read more: http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/03/shuttleworth-highlights-server-growth-as-ubuntu-overtakes-rhel-on-top-websites.ars

There will always be tittle tattle , but those site need be be aware of one thing ! where do plug in there servers'
according to some info at that site ,
Sony's vision of the future: Power outlets that supply electricity only to authenticated devices.):P

What ever next ,

MisterGaribaldi
March 16th, 2012, 03:11 AM
RHEL make sense for a number of reasons, and obviously support is amongst them.

But whatever the case, I'm quite happy rocking Debian. Doesn't ever go down, no glitches, stable as a rock, cooks me breakfast in the morning...

Wait. RHEL has the beautiful babe who delivers the breakfast, right?

Ok, I'm switching to RHEL!

jwbrase
March 16th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Not really "significant". It's the bottom line on that graph. But still... a *measurable* portion of the internet uses Gentoo... :shock:

user1397
March 16th, 2012, 07:44 AM

apparently 4000 of the top million websites do

sffvba[e0rt
March 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
They also have forums where people can say what they want too ;)

Touché

Paqman
March 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
He compares Ubuntu to RHEL when Ubuntu is free.

I seriously doubt big deployments of Ubuntu are done without a support contract.

Grenage
March 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
It probably doesn't look quite so impressive when you look at CentOS. Either way, I find it surprising that anyone would use Ubuntu over Debian, for server tasks.

sffvba[e0rt
March 16th, 2012, 01:16 PM
It probably doesn't look quite so impressive when you look at CentOS. Either way, I find it surprising that anyone would use Ubuntu over Debian, for server tasks.

I suspect it has to do with backing being available from Canonical (support etc.) as well as some of the other tools that is offered with Ubuntu Server (got to remember the new buzz word is cloud).

Grenage
March 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I suspect it has to do with backing being available from Canonical (support etc.) as well as some of the other tools that is offered with Ubuntu Server

True. I always thought that large-scale desktop installs were probable, especially with support contracts, I am just surprised to see Ubuntu get such numbers for web server. Then again, I am slightly surprised by how many RHEL web servers there apparently are.

(got to remember the new buzz word is cloud).

God, don't I know it.

MisterGaribaldi
March 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM
...I am just surprised to see Ubuntu get such numbers for web server. Then again, I am slightly surprised by how many RHEL web servers there apparently are.

Hey, variety is the spice of life, and competition is a very healthy thing.

Grenage
March 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I can't argue with that!