PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What exactly does "install alongside x" do?

Thrashrokz33
March 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Simple question. Lets say I have half of my hard-drive with a windows 7 partition, and the other half is unallocated. If I want to keep it simple and use the "install alongside windows 7" option, what exactly will this do? Will it make a new primary partition in the unallocated space? Or will it divide the windows partition in some way?

I'm sure I can use the custom installation option, but that really over-complicates things.

Also, does anyone have a successful Ubuntu dual boot on an Hewlett Packard windows 7 laptop? Just wondering, as I think I'll be buying an hp soon.

tbhatia4
March 15th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Simple question. Lets say I have half of my hard-drive with a windows 7 partition, and the other half is unallocated. If I want to keep it simple and use the "install alongside windows 7" option, what exactly will this do? Will it make a new primary partition in the unallocated space? Or will it divide the windows partition in some way?

I'm sure I can use the custom installation option, but that really over-complicates things.

Also, does anyone have a successful Ubuntu dual boot on an Hewlett Packard windows 7 laptop? Just wondering, as I think I'll be buying an hp soon.

it'll divide your partition as per your desire just drag the line sideways to allot your desired space to windows or ubuntu
this way you can boot both into windows and ubuntu without loosing even a single byte of data

Thrashrokz33
March 15th, 2012, 07:52 PM
So it will divide my Windows partition? I'd prefer it not do that if I already have unallocated space setup for the install. I guess I'll just do custom then.

tbhatia4
March 15th, 2012, 07:54 PM
So it will divide my Windows partition? I'd prefer it not do that if I already have unallocated space setup for the install. I guess I'll just do custom then.

yep that would be great