PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] bootable usb

vagelism
March 15th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Hello to all.
I use multisystem script to make a usb multiboot with various systems. So it works great with more of the small distributions like glonzilla or freeNas etc, but when it comes to Ubuntu I got the error of the screen. Even if I tried to make it work only with one OS , Ubuntu doesnt boot and comes with the error of the screen.
Any possible solution?
Thank you!

LaptopLInux2
March 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM
What you do is to put the USB in (8GB or larger) and let the installation to do it for you,

vagelism
March 15th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Thank you. So If I understood correct I have to plug the usb and then to select from Ubuntu OS that I run to make a valid usb bootable version of it?
Can you please tell me the steps. Now I use a 4gb USB drive so maybe is this the problem as you mentioned.

ixtok
March 15th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I would use an 8GB stick. I would run the Ubuntu live CD and choose to install to that usb device. Make sure it installs grub to the usb also and not to your hard drive.

vagelism
March 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I would use an 8GB stick. I would run the Ubuntu live CD and choose to install to that usb device. Make sure it installs grub to the usb also and not to your hard drive.

Will I be able to make an installation after that from the USB to an other system?

Ghost_Mazal
March 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Will I be able to make an installation after that from the USB to an other system?

Only if you clone it. You will not have the "install Ubuntu" option as it will already be installed onto the usb.

C.S.Cameron
March 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I have seen that error due to a bad iso download.
Check your iso's MD5SUM.

bodhi.zazen
March 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have seen that error due to a bad iso download.
Check your iso's MD5SUM.

+1

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VerifyIsoHowto

vagelism
March 15th, 2012, 05:46 PM
+1

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VerifyIsoHowto

From this ISO I installed the Ubuntu in my pc!
You thing is possible?

sudodus
March 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM
So you know the iso file is good. Then try another tool to make your USB boot drive. I have good experience of Unetbootin. (But I have had good luck with Multisystem too on many computers).

It might be a good idea to have more than one USB stick for booting/installing, because the sticks are different, and the systems are installed in slightly different ways by different tools, and USB booting is not as standardized as CD booting.

vagelism
March 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Unetbootin never worked fine for me! Instead Multisystem works pretty good!
I just confirmed the md5. Is correct:c396dd0f97bd122691bdb92d7e68fde5
I will try the classic step by step way that ubuntu forum give for fresh install from a usb drive.