PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing 11.10 Issues

spikoley
March 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I am having issues installing 11.10. It will not install from Install Ubuntu, so I went to Try Ubuntu.

When it boots into Unity there are a few errors. It does not load the Unity launcher and I cannot get to the terminal via Ctrl + Alt + T.

The install shortcut fails to load.

Any ideas on what to do? Once its installed I should be able to run in Classic Mode without any issues.

HeroOfCanton
March 15th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Is it possible you had a bad burn? Maybe verify the checksum of your iso download too.

If it won't even run in live mode that's not a good sign. Hopefully it was just a bad download or burn.

If not you may have to stick to an older version or switch to an x/l/k distro.

spikoley
March 15th, 2012, 04:35 AM
The md5 was fine and I am using a USB thumb drive.

HeroOfCanton
March 15th, 2012, 05:14 AM
The md5 was fine and I am using a USB thumb drive.

Hmm... Maybe you should try the alternate installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download) just to get it on the hard drive, then you can get gnome classic or another DE from there if you're still having problems.

spikoley
March 15th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Figured it out. I put in a new hard drive that a friend gave me. For some bizarre reason he installed 10.10 on it as an image with the boot parameter of /cdrom. It was booting into that instead of my USB drive even though the CD rom was set to boot as second.

Thanks for the help.