PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble connecting to the internet

gidrdunv11
March 15th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Needing some help getting my internet up and running. trying to use a wireless access point but can't get it to work. pretty much any of the threads I've tried to follow were a bit too complicated....newbie!

grahammechanical
March 15th, 2012, 03:56 AM
It would help if you told us what version of Ubuntu you are using, what messages Ubuntu is giving you as you try to set up the wireless connection. In fact you could tell us what you have done to try to set up a wireless connection.

Regards.

gidrdunv11
March 15th, 2012, 05:41 AM
sorry about that, Ubuntu 10.04. The thing is, that I haven't even gotten an error message. I have used Ubuntu in the past and it was pretty intuitive/easy to work through any issues. In this case, any threads I follow don't get me to/through the issue. Don't mean to be vague but I can't even seem to get a single thread to start working out the issue.

chipbuster
March 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Well, let's hear what the issue is. "Internet not working" is pretty generic.

Can you see wireless networks? Can you connect to them but they drop? How long does each attempt last? Does it ask you for another password or does it sit and connect-drop-connect-drop? If you're on a computer you bought, what model? If it's a DIY rig, what's the wireless and other specs?

gidrdunv11
March 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
click on the network manager- hit the "auto eth 1" then get "wired internet connectoin- dissconnected- you are now off line" message.

gidrdunv11
March 15th, 2012, 05:44 PM
as far as the computer itself, got it from free geek so it could be a DIY unit.

model is a Springdale-g
Intel Pentium 4
3.00GHz

tbhatia4
March 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Needing some help getting my internet up and running. trying to use a wireless access point but can't get it to work. pretty much any of the threads I've tried to follow were a bit too complicated....newbie!

are you connecting via wireless or a wired one
if you are trying to connect to internet via wireless in a fresh ubuntu install you won't be able to do so till you upgrade your system
to update your system connect to a wired network and run update manager from system
let this download and install everything then you'll be able to connect to internet via wireless