PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation takes too long

unerdu
March 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I finally managed to burn UBUNTU 11.10 on a installation CD ROM and boot the installation CD ROM on my IBM Think Pad but then I had the installation CD ROM run over night for over 12 h and nothing happened except that a black screen changed into a kind of lilac nebula screen from time to time.

Today I rebooted the disk but then the same endless process restarted without any apparent acceleration.

Is this normal that the installation on an older ThinkPad take 12+ h or could this mean a technical installation issue?

whatthefunk
March 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
How old is your ThinkPad? It might be that the graphical installer is too heavy for your system. If this is the case, you might want to try a lighter distro like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. What are your Thinkpads specs??

sidzen
March 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
A person needs a P4 and 512MB RAM to even get an old-mchine distro like antiX t run decently!
What is your model and its specs?

unerdu
March 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
How old is your ThinkPad? It might be that the graphical installer is too heavy for your system. If this is the case, you might want to try a lighter distro like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. What are your Thinkpads specs??
It is a ThinkPad T22 with 128 MB RAM built in 2007.

UnknownFearNG
March 14th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Think your computer is too old to run it unfortunately.

whatthefunk
March 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
It is a ThinkPad T22 with 128 MB RAM built in 2007.

Theres no way Ubuntu will run on 128 MB RAM. Even Lubuntu will struggle on that. Puppy Linux might work. Crunchbang would probably work as well, but might not be the best if youre new to Linux.

roger_1960
March 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hi

If you want to use that machine I would consider adding some RAM Its really cheap these days. I think it can be upped to 256M This would let you run Puppy Linux, no sure about Lubuntu. No good for Ubuntu.

whatthefunk
March 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hi

If you want to use that machine I would consider adding some RAM Its really cheap these days. I think it can be upped to 256M This would let you run Puppy Linux, no sure about Lubuntu. No good for Ubuntu.

Thats the best option probably. I used to run Lubuntu on a machine with 256 RAM and it went alright, so that should work.

Youll probably have to use a minimal install iso or an alternate install iso because your graphics card probably cant deal with the graphical installer.

QIII
March 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, will run on that. But don't expect it to take your breath away and blow your hair back.

Bodhi will soon be based on Precise (12.04) so I don't know if the minimum specs will change.

sidzen
March 14th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Recommend buying two of these (http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1627043) and installing antiX-M11-i486 (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix) base; download it here (http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/mepis/released/antix/antiX-M11-base-486.iso) . Check md5um of ISO and burn to CD at no more than 8X.

Best wishes!

Doug S
March 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Just to clarify for others that might be reading this thread.
This thread, I would guess, is about versions of linux that include a GUI.
Ubutnu Server edition works O.K., not great but O.K., with only 128 Megabytes of RAM.