PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSD Upgrade...

Jancarel
March 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Dear Ubuntu Friends,

I would like to upgrade my computer with a Solid State Disk. My idea is to use CloneZilla to make a disk image of the present harddisk. Then replace the harddisk with a Solid State Disk and restore the disk image back to the new disk. Two questions:

- Will this work...
- Do I need to format the SSD before the restore, or will
CloneZilla do this for me...

Thank you for your help,

Jan

howefield
March 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM
No reason why it shouldn't work unless the SSD is smaller than the disk that the image was taken from ?

I believe this is still a limitation of Clonezilla, the destination has to be of at least the same size as the source.

I'd probably be inclined to do a fresh install, just to keep the cruft off the SSD, at least to start with.

Grenage
March 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Indeed; you could shrink the partition first with Gparted, if it was indeed bigger than the destination. I'd perform a fresh install, but the option is there.

Jancarel
March 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
No reason why it shouldn't work unless the SSD is smaller than the disk that the image was taken from ?

I believe this is still a limitation of Clonezilla, the destination has to be of at least the same size as the source.

I'd probably be inclined to do a fresh install, just to keep the cruft off the SSD, at least to start with.

I am still using Ubuntu 10.10. This is the latest version which works with my graphic card. With a newer version I could not get my graphic card to work. I am perfectly happy with 10.10. That's why I would like to copy this complete setup to the new SSD...

Jan

howefield
March 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I am still using Ubuntu 10.10. This is the latest version which works with my graphic card. With a newer version I could not get my graphic card to work. I am perfectly happy with 10.10. That's why I would like to copy this complete setup to the new SSD...

Jan

Uhmm.. ok but if you mention that as a reason not to do a clean install of 10.10 I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Ghost_Mazal
March 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I had this issue a while back and found that the rsync method works flawlessly. It is the fastest and safest way to clone to a smaller drive as you don't need to do any partition resizing and it only copies the data not every sector.

I battled with this for more than a week and there is no other way to clone to a smaller drive. 1. Partition resizing and clonezilla (dangerous) , 2. Rsync. (Safer but needs some editing of config files when done)

Grenage
March 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
That's not a clone, that's just copying files.

Ghost_Mazal
March 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
That's not a clone, that's just copying files.

I regularly clone harddrives that way my friend. When done you just install grub , edit fstab , edit grub.cfg and your done. Best and safest way to clone to smaller drive.

Grenage
March 14th, 2012, 11:24 AM
As I said, that's not cloning a drive. ;)

Ghost_Mazal
March 14th, 2012, 11:35 AM
As I said, that's not cloning a drive. ;)

As it is an exact copy of the original system , yes it is.

BUT , if you guys wonna struggle with slow and dangerous partition resizing , knock yourselves out ;)

Grenage
March 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
As it is an exact copy of the original system , yes it is.

But it's not!

A clone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image) is an exact copy, anything else is just transferred files.

Jancarel
March 14th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Uhmm.. ok but if you mention that as a reason not to do a clean install of 10.10 I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Well, I have installed quite a few programs. With some I had difficulties getting them to work correctly. All this has to be done again if I do a clean install. At the moment my computer works perfectly and I am totally happy with the way it works. An SSD would make it even nicer since it will be faster and quiet...

Jan