PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is The Best Programming Language to Learn in Linux?

Yusufmm
March 13th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hi, All, i need some help.
I want to learn programming in "linux" that would I use to perform calculations, string manipulation, file processing, networking, etc.. I know that there are two programming language, interpreter and compiler language. Can you suggest what is good interpreter language for me? and what is good compiler language for me?
and then what is the reason for choosing them.

Thanks ....:)

QIII
March 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
My only reasons for suggesting the following are that they are popular enough that you can find plenty of people to help or they are generally used in computer science curricula:

Interpreted: Java, Python, Ruby

Compiled: C, C++

There are also languages that use assemblers, but unless you are trying to get every last drop of performance you probably won't need to use one.

(I hope I have not set up the conditions for the typical flame war about whether Java is compiled or interpreted.)

JDShu
March 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I just learned today that my school's CS department is changing the introduction programming language from Java to Python. MIT did something similar I believe where they're changing their famed SICP course from Scheme to Python. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was happening across the US.

Essentially, Python is in. You can expect to (and should) learn more languages in the future, but you can't go wrong with learning Python first. That is the direction in which the industry is moving.

muteXe
March 14th, 2012, 09:18 AM
which industry is this..?

r-senior
March 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Python is a great language and I can see why educational establishments would adopt it as a teaching language but I don't see 'the industry' moving that way either. Yes it could be a good commercial programming language but in my experience, Java, C#/.NET and C++ are the strongest and aren't being displaced by it as yet.

muteXe
March 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM
+1

codemaniac
March 14th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Not a single programming language can be crowned as the best , all we can say that one is more perfectly suited than the other for a specific purpose .But in any Linux flavor you will find ample of programming languages to play with .

PS :Learn your first language(whatever it may be) with all your heart and you will find the following ones a cake walk .

Yusufmm
March 14th, 2012, 03:24 PM
@ QIII:
Hi, QIII. Thanks for your first reply.., i appreciate your suggest language.., :-)
@ JDShu:
Hi,JDShu. I also looked at Python :-)
@ r-senior:
Hi, r-senior. Yeah, i see python is good for first learn. :-)
@ codemaniac:
Hi, codemaniac. Maybe i'll learn python. :-)

Thanks for all your reply,..
based on the replies I received, I thought I would learn python as a interpreted language and C as compiled language. But I am confused, python has two versions, 2 and 3. When I type the command "python" in terminal, i found that I installed ubuntu server 11.10 with python 2.7.2+ already installed.

I want to learn python with version that already installed on linux when first installation.

Whether linux will use this version to the next? or one day it will move to version 3?

Thanks if you will reply again.... :-D

llanitedave
March 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Python3 is the future. But it's similar enough to Python 2.7 so that when all the transitions are made you will have very little to relearn. It won't be a big deal. You're perfectly safe learning Python using what's installed now.

codemaniac
March 14th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Yusufmm , just go ahead and explore Python to the hilt .
Sky is your limit .If you get stuck while solving any issue ,feel free to post them here .All the very best . :)

Simian Man
March 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
based on the replies I received, I thought I would learn python as a interpreted language and C as compiled language. But I am confused, python has two versions, 2 and 3. When I type the command "python" in terminal, i found that I installed ubuntu server 11.10 with python 2.7.2+ already installed.

Don't try to learn Python and C at the same time. That will only slow you down. It would be like trying to learn two foreign languages at the same time. The fact that one language is compiled and the other interpreted will make no difference to a beginner. Go with Python :).

Yusufmm
March 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM
@ llanitedave:
Hi, llanitedave. I also think v.3 is better. :KS
@ codemaniac:
Yeah, if i need help, i will come back ... :-)
@ Simian Man:
Hi, Simian Man. Now I choose python for my first language :popcorn:

Thank you for all,
I have found my answer. Python and C is a perfect match =D> I will start learning with python... :biggrin:

ofnuts
March 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Python is a great language and I can see why educational establishments would adopt it as a teaching language but I don't see 'the industry' moving that way either. Yes it could be a good commercial programming language but in my experience, Java, C#/.NET and C++ are the strongest and aren't being displaced by it as yet.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.iea.was_v6/was/6.1/DevelopmentTools/WASv61_JythonTools/player.html

:rolleyes: