PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] newbie setting up radeon video card

banksiaman
March 13th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I had a spare machine running vista.I have removed vist and from CD installed ubuntu.
It all works ok except for my dual screens.
I want the dual screens so I can read instructions and try things on other screen
I have a "radeon hd4650 1gb ddr2 v/d hdmi" video card am very confused regarding setting up the video card.
Is there a radeon card setup site that is good for a newbie :D

winh8r
March 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Have a look here for starters:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

there are also many threads on the forum about this too.

Hope this helps you.

banksiaman
March 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks winh8r had a quick look will now try to digest and follow instructions

winh8r
March 13th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Just re-read your post, remember that in Ubuntu you have multiple desktops available , which makes it much easier to switch from one task to another without the need for two monitors.

Hope this helps.

Mark Phelps
March 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
When you have multiple monitors, you need to check the Display applet to confirm that mirroring is NOT checked by default. IF it is, you'll see the same stuff on both screens.

After you uncheck that, you can set individual resolutions on each of the screens.

Also, by default, the Primary monitor is on your right, the secondary on your left. This makes it confusing when your dragging the cursor from one screen to another.

To change this, go back into the Display applet where you see the icons at the top for the two monitors. Grab the left icon and drag it to the right of the other one. Now, your Primary screen will be on your left.

banksiaman
March 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your replies ,but I dont seem to be having much luck.I have no problems if I remove the video card and use the mother board driver.
But when I replace the video card I get all sorts of problems pick any or all of these plus more,
both monitors work as seperate monitors but mouse (and keyboard ) stop every 90sec aprox for 10 sec approx repeating all else seems to work
At one stage I coulndnt even see the bios the screen is blank yet watching the access lights it seems to load ubuntu ok
I even reinstalled on a seperate partition to see if it was somthing I did somehow
but I cant get 2 monitors to work on that one.
Dosent seem to recognise the screen settings for 2nd mon
All in all a complicated confusing mess for a newbie
Without the video card
I can use altbinz with wine, gimp and other prgms Ok and have no other problems .
seems to be an overload of info out there a lot of it confusing to the newbie
I need a beginners video drivers basics
:p