PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need opinions on buying a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge laptop & buying a wireless router

s1baker
March 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying a laptop ( my first ) and I wonder if anyone has opinions about the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 as far as it being able to run Ubuntu.

Here is the specs on it:
http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-E520-1143ADU-15-6-LED-Notebook-Core-i3-i3-2340M-2-3GHz-229p2838.htm#details

I am wondering if it would run ok using Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
( although I would not really have a problem with 32 bit )

This website says it has been vetted for 32 bit:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201103-7447
but the machine I am thinking about buying does not have Ubuntu pre-installed.

Also, I will be buying my first wireless router ( or rather, my first router ever ) for this and I need advise on what type of wireless router to get. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit right now on a desktop, so the router will have to work with that as well as the laptop. ( Later, I plan to upgrade my desktop to Ubuntu 12.X after it has been used by the community for a while. )

Thanks for any advise/opinions.

ubudog
March 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Seems like a great laptop for Ubuntu, unless you are into gaming.

Just pop in the 11.10 disc and go! :)

I'd try 32-bit at first, and if there's no issues, then move on up to 64-bit.

If you come across trouble with wireless, this may help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1760181

Most of today's routers should work out of the box with Ubuntu.
(I normally get routers that work with dd-wrt, they seem to all work with Ubuntu/Linux)

Best of luck!

plucky
March 13th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Also, I will be buying my first wireless router ( or rather, my first router ever ) for this and I need advise on what type of wireless router to get. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit right now on a desktop, so the router will have to work with that as well as the laptop. ( Later, I plan to upgrade my desktop to Ubuntu 12.X after it has been used by the community for a while. )

This depends on how you connect to your broadband provider.

Is it cable or ADSL?

My broadband provider supplied a wireless modem/router as part of their service and I am not allowed to use other modem/routers.

Check with them first of all to see what they require.

Good Luck

s1baker
March 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM
@ plucky
This depends on how you connect to your broadband provider.

Is it cable or ADSL?

I connect to my broadband provider by cable.
I have a motorola cable modem like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfboard-SB5101-Cable-Modem/dp/B000JV9LUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331646743&sr=1-1

The internet cable connects to this modem and an eternet cable runs from the modem to desktop.

plucky
March 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I connect to my broadband provider by cable.
I have a motorola cable modem like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfboard-SB5101-Cable-Modem/dp/B000JV9LUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331646743&sr=1-1

The internet cable connects to this modem and an eternet cable runs from the modem to desktop.

So all you need is a wireless router.

If your computers supports wireless-N,just get a wireless N router,but if they are older, get a wireless g router as you won't be able to utilise the speed for wireless N.

Good Luck

s1baker
March 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
My desktop is 4-1/2 years old, so I guess it would be the older type, or g (?) ( also, I use 10.10 32 bit now, but will go to 12.x latter on )

Here is some questions I have:

1) I know I don't have a router board in the box, so I guess the router would have to connect to the USB port?

2) Also, is there software to install for the router to work.

3) and when I get the router, what do I do first, just plug it in and Ubuntu will recognize it, or do I need to set something first?

plucky
March 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
1) I know I don't have a router board in the box, so I guess the router would have to connect to the USB port?

The last wireless cable router I connected was through an ethernet cable.

2) Also, is there software to install for the router to work.

No

3) and when I get the router, what do I do first, just plug it in and Ubuntu will recognize it, or do I need to set something first?

The wired connection will work out of the box.
You will have to login to the router to turn on the wireless and set up a password.The router manual will tell you how to do that.

Good Luck

Mark Phelps
March 13th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Some of the newer routers (i.e., Cisco) often come with a CD that does all the work for you ...

Unfortunately, as in the case of Cisco Connect, this SW is generally NOT usable in Linux, as it is written for MS Windows (and Macs, in other cases).

To use that software, you generally need to have the router connected to your PC through a USB port.

But since you're using Linux, there is no need (or value) in connecting the router via USB cable. You're not going to install any software to use it, anyway.

You connect to your router using a Web browser, using the default IP address assigned to the router by the manufacturer -- typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

The documentation (often on CDs these days) will tell you which of these addresses the the correct one.

Scott Baker
March 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I've run Ubuntu on Lenovos for a VERY long time (I'm actually on my X60s right now, running 11.10). In the years I've used Ubuntu, I've NEVER run into MAJOR issues running IBM / Lenovo machines with Ubuntu. (as a matter of fact, these are the FIRST machines that I recommend to all of my clients). As to variety (64bit versus 32bit, I would still recommend 32bit, as it still seems less buggy.

s1baker
March 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks all.

I am thinking about getting this one:
http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/ASUS-WL-520GC-125M-Broad-Range-Wireless-Router-278p2405.htm

It is a G type and it looks like it will allow more than just 1 external device.