PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Total freakin noob

gruntb23
March 12th, 2012, 06:46 AM
OK so I am running ubuntu 11.10 64-bit on an asus G60vx. Was able to install off of cd I dowloaded from the internet when i still had windows on this laptop. I still have no idea what i am doing with linux. So I decided to try to install the same on a compaq presario x1000. So I could use the terminal figure out the codes and commands without potentially destroying the info on my main machine. Got an error when trying to run the install off the compaq after a complete dban. tracked down the issue in the forums to needed 32bit to install on the compaq. But I cant seem to get the 32 bit to burn onto cd while using the 64 bit OS. downlaoded the package from the internet but can't get it to burn to CD. HELP?

Paqman
March 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
What system are you using to burn the CD? What CD burning application are you using? What is the actual error you get?

gruntb23
March 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I am using the asus to burn the cd. The application would be what came with ubuntu 11.10? I couldn't tell you the actual error. I would need to do it again and fail. which i am trying to avoid.

Paqman
March 12th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Could be a few things then:

Check that the 32-bit install image you've got is ok by checking the MD5SUM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM), you should get a value of c396dd0f97bd122691bdb92d7e68fde5 for the 11.10 32-bit desktop image.
Try a fresh disk, and burn it at the slowest speed possible. You can't burn software at the kind of speeds you'd burn MP3s or video.
Alternatively, try using a USB stick, as it'll avoid wasting CDs.

Apart from that, there's not a lot we can help with unless you tell us exactly what went wrong. We'd just be guessing really.