PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Windows apps from separate partition?

revickulous2001
March 12th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I have searched the internet trying to find if this is possible with no luck. I'm aware that I'm able to use WINE, VMWare, VirtualBox, etc. to run software from another OS.

I have set my system up to dual-boot between Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10. Ideally, I'd like to be able to run some Windows programs (games of course) from Ubuntu, if possible.

I can't simply navigate to the appropriate directory and run the executable from WINE since apparently my Windows filesystem doesn't support changing permissions (And Ubuntu requires me to change the executable permission for a .exe file).

I suppose I could download a torrent of a .iso image for Windows 7 and set up a Virtual Box, if necessary, but I was hoping to avoid doing something that elaborate.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do? Keep in mind, I'm new to today's Linux since I this is my first Linux install in over a decade. Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Mark Phelps
March 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Not sure I understand your question ... but if you're asking, in a dual-boot setup where Linux is installed on one partition and MS Windows on another, can you run the MS Windows apps from Wine? The answer is NO. The apps have to actually be installed in the Linux distro to run them.

grahammechanical
March 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Those options that you are aware of would require the Windows application to be installed inside them or through them onto the Linux OS in a simliar way to installing the program in MS Windows.

Regards.