PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CLI to GUI .............?????

adym333
March 11th, 2012, 01:53 PM
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop

i am using ubntu 11.10 server ................. after entering above comnd got all the installation done but aftr running whole processes ............ still not able to get GUI for ubuntu server ....????

did tried Ctrl +Alt + (F1/F2/F3/F4 ....)........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

help required .....!!!.....:sad::sad:

3rdalbum
March 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM
sudo service lightdm start

Should start the Ubuntu GUI, if you have it.

Why did you do no-install-recommends, by the way?

adym333
March 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM
@3rdalbum

http://www.noobslab.com/2011/07/graphical-user-interface-on-ubuntu-11.html

I followed the material given on above link ........

adym333
March 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM
thnks fr promt reply ........................

after entering above cmnd screen have become blank .........only cursor blinking ....!!!!!!..:(

Paqman
March 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Why did you do no-install-recommends, by the way?

Exactly, using this on ubuntu-desktop will mean you'll miss out on a huge number of packages. Basically you'll miss out on everything with a green diamond on this list (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/ubuntu-desktop). A lot of that stuff is pretty essential.

If you want a lightweight Gnome desktop I'd suggest installing:

sudo apt-get install xorg lightdm gnome-core gnome-themes

Then:

AleeRaza
March 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
--no-install-recomends ubuntu-desktop will not work on 11.10.
So you have to install desktop using :
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop :p

adym333
March 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Exactly, using this on ubuntu-desktop will mean you'll miss out on a huge number of packages. Basically you'll miss out on everything with a green diamond on this list (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/ubuntu-desktop). A lot of that stuff is pretty essential.

If you want a lightweight Gnome desktop I'd suggest installing:

sudo apt-get install xorg lightdm gnome-core gnome-themesThen:

tried both of the above cmnds still comes the blk screen after applying second cmnd ...........im using ubuntu server 11.10..................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........:(

adym333
March 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
tried both of the cmnds u told but ...........still comes the blk screen after applying second cmnd ...........im using ubuntu server 11.10..................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....help......:sad:

adym333
March 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM
problem still unsolved ....... !!!!...........???????

Paqman
March 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Try installing gdm and doing:

sudo service gdm start

mastablasta
March 12th, 2012, 12:49 PM
imagine that... after one minute....

Anyway try giving some hardware informaiton specifically what graphics card do you have and is it working?
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
or
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop :-)
if you want someting light try one of the windows manager (e.g. IceWM, Openbox) instead of full desktop.

sudodus
March 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
--no-install-recomends ubuntu-desktop will not work on 11.10.
So you have to install desktop using :
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop :p
Maybe it helps to purge, update-upgrade and reinstall

sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-desktop

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

adym333
March 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
@sudodus

i dont need ubuntu desktop .......... i am using ubuntu server 11.10 and want to go in GUI mode from CLI ......... ???????

sudodus
March 12th, 2012, 03:43 PM
@sudodus

i dont need ubuntu desktop .......... i am using ubuntu server 11.10 and want to go in GUI mode from CLI ......... ???????
Maybe you should install LXDE, which has a much smaller foot-print, but anyway, I suggest that you purge what was installed with the command in your first post.

QIII
March 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Perhaps someone is misinterpreting what "GUI" means to you. The link you provided specifically refers to ubuntu-desktop, yet you say you don't want ubuntu desktop, but "GUI".

Perhaps you could explain that -- without the extended ellipses and multiple question marks.

matt_symes
March 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hi

Perhaps someone is misinterpreting what "GUI" means to you. The link you provided specifically refers to ubuntu-desktop, yet you say you don't want ubuntu desktop, but "GUI".

Perhaps you could explain that -- without the extended ellipses and multiple question marks.

^^^This.

I am also confused as to what the OP wants. After all, Webmin is a "GUI".

Kind regards

mastablasta
March 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
perhaps it would be better if they want a GUI to server to use a distribution such a Zentyal which is server based on 10.04 with a GUI yet not a desktop: http://www.zentyal.com/
http://www.zentyal.com/en/server/download/

Is perhaps this what is required here?

adym333
March 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
what I am tryin to have is GUI(Graphic usr intrfce) in ubuntu server 11.10 .... .........like RHEL 6...... will be checking out Zentyal .....

QIII
March 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
The desktop environments suggested ARE GUIs.

You were given instructions on how to start them from the command line after installing them. Did you do that?

sudodus
March 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
what I am tryin to have is GUI(Graphic usr intrfce) in ubuntu server 11.10 .... .........like RHEL 6...... will be checking out Zentyal .....
Do you want the GUI on the console, or do you want it at remote login from another computer, like for example
ssh -X or both?