PDA

View Full Version : pinging broadcast address as keepalive

ki4jgt
March 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm using a local wifi hotspot which has this annoying problem. When ever I watch a video, the hotspot will start sending me data and then all of the sudden stop. My computer doesn't start requesting more data until the video stops completely. To make this remedy the situation, I've setup a python script to ping the broadcast address (only address I can think of that's on 24/7) 1 time every 2 seconds. It seems to have ended the problem but what are the reprocussions?

ofnuts
March 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm using a local wifi hotspot which has this annoying problem. When ever I watch a video, the hotspot will start sending me data and then all of the sudden stop. My computer doesn't start requesting more data until the video stops completely. To make this remedy the situation, I've setup a python script to ping the broadcast address (only address I can think of that's on 24/7) 1 time every 2 seconds. It seems to have ended the problem but what are the reprocussions?You can ping your gateway adrress instead (the hotsport is your gateway...)